It's the time of year when kids are getting excited about all that Winter brings, including snowball fights, sledding, ice skating, skiing, and more! What better way to help your little ones enjoy the season than by throwing a Winter Party for them and their friends? We have general winter party planning tips, including ideas for decorations, food, and activities that are sure delight all your little snow bunnies. The following tips can be used as winter birthday party ideas as well! Browse all our Birthday Party Supplies Browse this guide: Winter Invitations Winter Decorations Winter Food Winter Party Favors Winter Games & Activities
Planning & InvitationsWhat Do I Need For the Party? In addition to basic party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your winter party:
- Canned snow
- Icicle lights or crepe paper streamers
- A snow machine
- Sleds or ice skates
- Scarves, gloves and hats attached with one of our winter pins.
- A pinata
- Fold a piece of green cardstock in half to create a card-style invitation. Cut circles in different sizes and colors out of construction paper and glue them on the front of the card. Write one word of the phrase "You're Invited to [Child's Name]'s Winter Party" in each circle. Write your party details inside.
- Create a cut-out snowflake from white construction paper, leaving plenty of white space for wording. Write your party details on the snowflake, fold it back up, and mail it in an envelope.
- Cut out the shape of a snowman from white construction paper. Run a glue stick along the outside edges and add white glitter or use our glitter glue pens. Form the snowman's face and buttons with bits of fabric or paper. Write the party details on the back.
- Attach a card-style invitation to a packet of cocoa mix or one of our personalized winter party supplies and hand deliver to your guests.
- Include creative wording on your invitations such as:
It's Avery's party, and you're a guest! We hope you can make it, and all the rest! It will be fun, with games and prizes, Food, cake, and lots of surprises!
- Wrap strings of white lights in tulle fabric and drape them along the edges of the ceiling. Or, hang icicle lights so the 'icicles' hang down along the walls.
- Tie groups of four white, non-helium balloons together and set them around the floor of the party space to resemble heaps of snow.
- Cut star shapes out of cardboard and wrap them in foil. Tape them to the ceiling or hang them by fishing line.
- Cover tables with white or silver plastic table covers and set out ice skates, stuffed penguins and polar bears as table decorations.
- As they arrive, give each guest a jingle bell to wear around their wrist.
- Hang blue, white or silver streamers from an open doorway. You can also use garland or tinsel.
- Line your walkway with tin can luminaries for an added touch. Use clean tin cans and remove any labels. Punch holes in the cans using a hammer and nail, making the shape of a star, snowflake or snowman. Set a tea light candle in the bottom of each can and set them along the walkway.
- Set up mini potted spruce trees or artificial trees and spray them with canned snow. You can also use canned snow to decorate windows.
- Make popcorn balls in three different sizes and before they cool completely, stack the three sizes on top of each other to create edible popcorn snowmen!
- Make cookie snowballs by baking sugar cookies cut with a circle shape, and frosting them in white frosting. For those who like it, sprinkle coconut on top.
- Serve an all-white veggie and cheese tray with a white dip like ranch dressing. Try jicama, cauliflower, and mushrooms for the veggies, and mozzarella, swiss, and provolone for cheese.
- Make edible snowballs by freezing round scoops of vanilla ice cream for at least 2 hours, then rolling them in coconut.
- Freeze blue Kool-Aid in ice cube trays. Serve a punch bowl of ginger ale and float the blue "ice caps" on top.
- Make an easy winter-themed cake by using a round cake pan and blue frosting. Then pipe snowflakes on with white frosting and sprinkle with white edible glitter or coconut.
Party Favor IdeasWinter Party Favor Ideas Send your guests home with a smile with winter party favors such as:
- Our personalized favors bring a unique aspect to your party. Try bag tags, magnets, or stickers!
- A packet of hot cocoa mix, chocolate candies, and gingerbread cookies
- Candy canes or swirly winter lollipops
- Scarves, gloves or hats
- Mini snow globes
Party Planning ToolboxUse the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Themed Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.