Unicorn Party Ideas
Created on June 14, 2016
Is your child in love with unicorns, fantasy,
and fairytales? Then plan an enchanted birthday party your child will never
forget with our Unicorn Party Ideas! Read on for general party planning tips as
well as great unicorn-themed decorating, food, game, and activity suggestions.
Party Planning & Invitations
For peace of mind,
begin planning 6 - 8 weeks in advance to allow time to purchase and mail
invitations, as well as to give your guests time to RSVP and make travel plans, if needed.
Don't panic if you find yourself short on time; you can still plan a great
party! Planning ahead simply reduces the risk of conflicts with guests' plans
and may increase attendance. To simplify the rest of the party planning
process, check out our Party Planning Timeline, take a look at our When & Where to Have the Party page,
and read the paragraphs below for information on selecting decorations,
supplies, activities, and more for your child's party. What Do I Need
For the Party? If you plan to use paper tableware and themed party
supplies, our Suggested Party Supply List may be helpful when placing an order.
Please note that you may not need everything on the list; it is intended only
as a guide.
Make sure your guests can get to your party! When you have a party as magical and fantastical as a unicorn themed one, there's certainly magic in the air, but unfortunately, your guests won't magically appear! So make sure you've got invitations with all the right information one them. They'll need the location, the date and time, the R.S.V.P. contact number, and of course the name of the guest of honor! Birthday in a Box has some incredible Unicorn Fantasy themed party invitations that will fit the unicorn theme perfectly, and are easily personalized!
Decorating & Food
- Choose soft colors like pale green, pink, lavender and white for the decorations.
- Use clear twinkle lights to outline the front door.
- Hang colored streamers from tree branches in the yard. They will float in the breeze and add to the magical fairy atmosphere.
- Make a banner that says "Welcome to (your child's name) Unicorn Party" and hang it near the party entrance. See our coordinating Unicorn banners and let us do the work for you!
- Lay a cardboard drawbridge for the children to cross at the party entrance.
- Have fairy wings and a wand for each guest as they arrive.
- Ask older siblings or neighbors to dress as fairies and help with the party games.
- Form a canopy over the party table using pink and lavender streamers. The streamers should cascade from a bow in the middle (attached to the chandelier or the ceiling) out to the sides of the room.
- Fill the party area with huge tissue paper flowers. See our easy Tissue Paper Flower Kit, or purchase your own supplies and use our instructions for making tissue flowers. Arrange groups of flowers on tables, floors, hanging from the ceiling, or tied to chairs.
- Cut large tree, toadstool and castle shapes out of cardboard, paint them, and hang them on the walls of the party area.
- Turn on a bubble making machine to add to the magical mood.
- Combine clear mini lights with tulle netting and drape around the party space.
- Another option for creating a canopy is to hang yards of tulle netting from the ceiling. This can be done above the food table, or in another location such as a tree branch, to create a play area for your little fairies. Attach some butterflies and flowers from the craft store, and drape the netting outwards into a circular shape. Layer the end of the netting over chairs spread in a circle (if creating a play area) or the chairs around the food table.
- Spread flowers and glitter along the center of the main table.
- Make cardboard stars, cover in aluminum foil, and hang them from the ceiling.
- Ask an older child or adult to dress as a Fairy Queen and make balloon animals for the children. Use our easy Balloon Animals Kit which includes an instruction book, balloons, and balloon inflator. There's no need to master the entire book! One or two basic shapes will delight young children.
Party Food Ideas
When it comes to food, partygoers are usually perfectly content to eat pizza or hotdogs, which is certainly much easier on the hosts! However, if you have the time and would like to serve up some enchanted treats, consider these ideas:
- Prepare jam sandwiches and cut with a star-shaped cookie cutter.
- Serve vegetable dip in a hollowed out purple cabbage, or fruit dip in a hollowed out melon.
- Prepare our fizzy Enchanted Fairy Punch. Before the party, freeze the red juice in ice cube trays. Cranberry juice, pink grapefruit juice or fruit punch drinks could all work. Then on party day, serve lemon-lime soda, and let each child drop in a "magic" ice cube that will make a pink drink fit for a fairy!
- Another option is to offer pink lemonade as your Fairy Punch and serve it in teacups.
- Make fairy wand cookies! Simply prepare star-shaped sugar cookies and slide a wooden Popsicle stick under each cookie before baking. Bake as usual, and frost as desired. Wooden craft sticks are sold at most craft stores. Try using our Sugar Cut-Out Cookies recipe, your own favorite recipe, or ready-made cookie dough from the grocery store.
- Chocolate dipped strawberries are a favorite fairy snack.
- Prepare Magic Wands from pretzel rods dipped in melted white chocolate. Before the chocolate hardens, dip in pastel sprinkles.
- Make star-shaped crispy rice cereal treats, with colored sugar sprinkled on top.
- Fill a clear glass with Pixie Stix candy straws, and be sure to call them Pixie Dust! If you wish, allow the children to sprinkle some over their food.
- A bowl of jelly beans can be called Fairy Gems.
- Use a castle cake pan design for the Fairy Birthday Cake. If your child has toy fairy figures, place them on the cake plate as decorations.
- Another option for a Birthday Cake is a mini wedding-style cake with a fairy figure on top. Simply bake one 9" and one 6" round cake. Stack the smaller cake in the center of the larger one, and cover the entire cake with pink frosting. Add the fairy figure as the cake topper. If you wish, add more decorations like colored sprinkles, or frosting piped into flower shapes.
Make sure that your guests have some fun things to do while they're at your fantastical unicorn party! There are plenty of activities for your guests to take part in, and there are even more that you can come up with if you brainstorm!
- Pin the horn on the unicorn! Like the classic game Pin the Tail on the Donkey, but with the most wonderful of all horned creatures, the unicorn!
- Glitter bombs! Get your guests looking fabulous with a little glitter-themed makeover. Afterward, they're sure to shine and sparkle!
- Unicorn yourself! Turn yourself into a magical creature with a shimmering and shining tail, and a party hat horn! Add in some streamers, and you've got an adorable look that's fun to make and adorable to boot!