Train Party Ideas
Do you have a future conductor in your family? Lay the tracks for an incredible party with our Train Party Ideas! We have ideas from everything from invitations to party games, to get all your guests on board!
Train Party Planning & Invitations
In addition to basic party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing the following items for your Train party:
- Conductor hats and bandanas
- A toy train
- A Train Cake Pan and Cookie Cutter
- Design your invitations to look like train tickets, with a perforated line on one end. Tear that end off of each guest's ticket when they arrive at the party. Use words like "All Aboard the Party Train" and include seat assignments for fun.
- Fold a piece of white cardstock in half and cut out the shape of an "X," leaving the top of each line in the "X" attached, to create a top-fold card. On the front, write "Birthday" along one diagonal, and "Crossing" along the other. Write your party details inside.
- If your child is a fan of Thomas the Tank Engine, scan a picture of
the character onto one half of a piece of cardstock, so when folded,
the image is on the front of the card.
- Write your party details on a bandana that you can fold up and mail to your guests.
Train Party Decorating & Food Ideas
To keep the party train chugging along, use decorations that fit your theme! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Cut train tracks out of butcher paper and run them up the pathway to the main party entrance, and around the perimeter of the party room.
- Stop by a local appliance or department store, and ask for large, empty boxes. Use several to set up a big cardboard train in your front yard or in the middle of the party area. Paint the boxes various bright colors, and cut out windows and doors. Attach cardboard wheels, painted black, to complete the effect.
- Hang a banner on your front door that says "All Aboard [child's name]'s Party Train!" See our Personalized Train Banner for inspiration!
- Cut out different kinds of railroad crossing signs from cardboard or poster board. Use a variety of colors and styles, and then hang the signs throughout the party area.
- Create railroad barriers (i.e. the type that keep cars from crossing a track when a train is coming) out of cardboard and tack them across doorways your guests will not need to pass through. Make a sign that says "Do Not Cross When Barriers Are Down" to hang next to the door.
- Hang a train pinata in the party area that can be used as a
decoration before the activity begins.
Get creative with your party food by serving theme-specific treats. For a Train Party, consider the following ideas:
- Use train-shaped cookie cutters to cut out cookies, sandwiches, and cheese slices.
- Use a butter knife or an X-shaped cookie cutter to cut out railroad crossing-shaped cookies. Once the cookies have cooled, ice them in white frosting and write "Railroad Crossing" on each with black decorator icing.
- Turn fruit into train cars by cutting melon into rectangular strips for the body of each car, and then using a melon baller to make wheels. Attach the wheels to the cars with toothpicks, crossing them to look like wheel axles.
- Serve chips and popcorn in new, clean engineer hats.
- Make train-car sandwiches. Make a triple-decker sandwich and cut off the crusts. Slide a pretzel stick through the front and back of the sandwich for the wheel axles and slide half an olive or gumdrop on each pretzel end for wheels.
- Serve a pasta salad made from rotelle pasta, which resemble wheels.
- Make a train-themed cake by using black decorator icing to draw a railroad track around the outer edge of a 9" x 13" cake. Place several miniature toy trains on the tracks. Or, simply use our Train Cake Pan!
Train Party Favor Ideas
Thank your little conductors by sending them back to their stations with fun favors! To find a large variety of Train party favors, visit our store and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Toy trains
- Wooden train whistles
- Train cookie cutters
- Train stickers
- Engineer hats
- Fun shaped lollipops