Thomas Party Ideas
Choo choo! Pull into our Thomas the Tank Engine Party station! We have all the Thomas the Tank Engine party ideas, decorations and games to throw a Thomas Party your little conductors will love! Thomas the Tank Engine and his friends are based on real-life trains, so get ready for some real-life Thomas Party fun!
Thomas the Tank Engine Party Planning & Invitations
In addition to basic Thomas party supplies or train party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Thomas party:
- Conductor hats and bandanas
- A toy train on tracks or Thomas the Tank Engine toys
- Top hats like the one Sir Topham Hatt wears
- A Train Cake Pan and Cookie Cutter
- Train-themed and Thomas the Tank Engine movies, such as "Thomas and the Magic Railroad" (Rated G) or the Thomas & Friends TV show
- A Thomas the Tank Engine pinata
- Design your invitations to look like train tickets, with a perforated line on one end. Tear that end off of each guest's ticket when they arrive at the party. Include seat assignments for fun.
- Create a center fold card out of cardstock. On the front of your
card, paste a construction paper "X" shape. Write "Birthday Crossing"
along the lines of the "X"
Thomas the Tank Engine Party Decorating & Food
To keep your Thomas birthday party chugging along, use decorations that fit your theme! Here are some ideas for great DIY Thomas decorations to get you started:
- Cut train tracks out of butcher paper (or use black duct tape) and run them up the pathway to the main entrance of your Thomas Party, and around the perimeter of the party room.
- Stop by a local appliance or department store, and ask for large, empty boxes. Use several to set up a big cardboard train in your yard or in the middle of the party area. Paint the boxes various bright colors, and cut out windows and doors. Attach cardboard wheels and paper plate faces to complete the effect.
- Cut out different kinds of railroad crossing signs from cardboard or poster board. You can also recreate signs from the Thomas & Friends show. Use a variety of colors and styles, and then hang the signs throughout the party area.
- Create railroad barriers (i.e. the type that keep cars from crossing a track when a train is coming) out of cardboard and tack them across doorways your guests will not need to pass through. Make a sign that says "Do Not Cross When Barriers Are Down" to hang next to the door.
- Hang a Thomas pinata in the party area that can be used as a decoration before the activity begins.
Get creative with your party food by serving theme-specific Thomas party treats. For a Thomas the Tank Engine Party, consider the following ideas:
- Use a butter knife or an X-shaped cookie cutter to cut out railroad crossing-shaped cookies. Once the cookies have cooled, ice them in white frosting and write "Railroad Crossing" on each with black decorator icing.
- Turn fruit into train cars by cutting melon into rectangular strips for the body of each car, and then using a melon baller to make wheels. Attach the wheels to the cars with toothpicks, crossing them to look like wheel axles.
- Serve chips, popcorn and other snacks in new, clean engineer hats or top hats.
- Make train-car sandwiches. Make a triple-decker sandwich and cut off the crusts. Slide a pretzel stick through the front and back of the sandwich for the wheel axles and slide half an olive or gumdrop on each pretzel end for wheels. Use a thick pretzel rod as a smoke stack.
- Serve Thomas the Tank Engine pasta salad or macaroni and cheese made from rotelle pasta, which resemble wheels.
Thomas the Tank Engine Party Favors
Thank your little conductors by sending them back from your Thomas birthday celebration with fun train favors! To find a large variety of Thomas party favors, visit our store and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Thomas the Tank Engine and generic toy trains
- Wooden or plastic train whistles
- Train cookie cutters
- Thomas train stickers
- Engineer hats
- Fun shaped lollipops
- Complete Thomas favor sets, and don't forget to include personalized items, such as zipper pulls, stickers and placemats