Surf's up, dude! Have fun at the beach or in your own backyard with our kids' surf party ideas, including surf birthday party decorations, surf party games, beach-themed crafts, surf party supplies, and more! Shop our Summer Party Supplies Browse this guide: Surf Invitations Surf Decorations Surf Food Surf Party Favors Surf Games & Activities
Planning & InvitationsWhat Do I Need For the Party? In addition to basic Surf party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Surf party:
- Surf Party music
- Surfboards or kickboards
- Beach balls
- An ocean themed pinata
- Cut the shape of a surfboard out of heavy cardstock and decorate the surf board in your child's favorite colors. Leave one strip of white space down the center of the board for the party details.
- Use creative wording on the invitations like:
Grab your surfboard and prepare to hang ten,Britney's paddling her way toward a birthday again! Let's see how big of a wave you can get, So bring your bathing suit cause you're gonna get wet!If you would rather not make your own invitations, consider our personalized beach and surf themed invitations pictured below.
Surf Party Decorations For a surf party at the beach, you won't need many decorations because the sand and sea are the main attractions. You can help guests find your spot at the beach by tying a large bunch of balloons to a chair. Remember to have plenty of sunscreen on hand as well. You should also bring sand toys, hula hoops, and beach umbrellas.
- Set the mood by playing lots of classic surf music from the 1960's like the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, and the Surfaris.
- For a party in your back yard, decorate with lots of beach balls, sand pails and beach umbrellas.
- Cut out surfboard shapes from colorful foam poster board and hang them from tree limbs.
- Use sidewalk chalk to draw giant letters on the driveway spelling out "Beach This Way" and an arrow pointing to your yard.
- Set out lots of beach umbrellas, lawn chairs, and beach towels. Add a sand pail filled with a few bottles of sunscreen.
- For table decorations, use seashells, starfish, snorkel masks or sunglasses.
- Make a banner that says "Welcome to [child's last name] Beach" and hang it near the party entrance. See our personalized surf banners and let us do the work for you!
- Tie groups of helium balloons around the party area. Add beach themed Mylar balloons to some of the groups, and keep them in place with balloon weights.
- Offer sandwiches, hot dogs or hamburgers. For a party at a beach, you will need to check in advance with the local town hall to be sure you are allowed to use a grill on the beach.
- Make little signs for each food item with a beach name like Sandy Beach Burgers, Hang Loose Hot Dogs, Surf's Up Salad, Fun in the Sun Fruit Kabobs and Catch a Wave Chip and Dip.
- Serve the chips or cookies in clean, new, plastic sand pails, and use clean sand shovels as serving spoons for salads.
- Be sure to bring lots of water and other drinks in a cooler to keep the children hydrated throughout the party.
- Surf Party Cake Idea: Start with a round two-layer cake and cover the sides with white frosting. On the top, cover half with the white frosting and the other half with blue frosting. Draw a rippled edge between the two halves to create a wavy shoreline. Crush graham crackers and sprinkle them over the white frosting on the top and the sides to give the appearance of sand. Add gumballs as miniature beach balls and a few small drink umbrellas to the beach side on top of the cake. Then set three small toy surfboards sticking up from the waves in the blue ocean side of the cake.
Party Favor IdeasSurf Party Favor Ideas Thank your guests with far out party favors! To find a large variety of surf party favors, visit our Surf party page and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Surfboard necklaces
- Beach balls
- Bean bag sea animals
- Water guns
- Mini decks of cards
- Water balloons
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Party Planning ToolboxUse the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Surf Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Surf Party Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities