Superhero Party Ideas
Pop! Thwack! KaPow! From Batman and Superman, to Wonderwoman and Aquawoman, chances are, your kiddo has a fancy for a superhero and rightly so! With superpowers at hand to save the day, along with amazing gadgets, superheroes have stood the test of time. When your kid begs for a superhero party, youll have to use some of your own superpowers to make the party triumph over your birthday arch nemesis: The dreaded, evil, boring party!
Planning and invitationsWhen planning a superhero party, its critical to know your superhero inside and out. Whats the story behind your superhero? His color, logo, and alter ego? Where does he live? Sidekicks, epic victories, enemiesthese are all things that will play perfectly into your theme.
- Personalization is key.
- Invite inspiration: Newspaper clipping touting your childs birthday as the epic battle of good vs. evil.
- If your superhero has an alter ego, you could include a disguise kit for each kid along with the invite.
- Make your invitation bold, bright, and make sure it communicates the superhero theme.
Superhero DecorationsDecorating for a superhero party can be so much fun! Tap into your inner superhero and get creative! From colors and strengths to trademark sayings and sidekicks, theyre all fair game when it comes to decorations. Once you have your food chosen, find ways to incorporate your theme into your food.
- If your superhero has a hometown, use poster board to create a cityscape backdrop at your food table. Hanging superhero logos around, or the iconic Boom, Thwack signs are also fantastic ways to give homage to the original superhero medium comic books.
- If you can spare it, pick up some comic books from a local store to place in the party room.
- Purchasing some cut-outs of the superhero, or items with that superheros theme to put on walls and flat surfaces is also a great idea.
- Vinyl tablecloths arent just for tables anymore. Theyre the superhero of the birthday party supply world, and can also be used as makeshift curtains, doorway hangers, and much more. Get creative with tablecloths and see what you can make the opportunities are endless!
Superhero FoodsKids love food, and while we dont know what types of foods superheroes like, we can take their logo/colors and use them to inspire foods. Even healthy foods can be themed to fit into a superhero theme with a little creative thinking!
- Use your superheros colors as a jumping platform for things like a candy buffet, drinks, and of course cake and ice cream.
- Jello in a cool container or layered in different colors is always a hit, along with colored popcorn, and matching candy.
- Marshmallows dipped in colored chocolate with a simple felt cape or logo cut out are simple to make and look fantastic. Hero sandwiches are great, as well as superhero homemade pizza (http://thechicsite.com/2015/04/21/avengers-pizza-party/).
- If youre daring, use some of the enemies colors to inspire food choices as well! (Scarecrow haystacks, anyone?
- Use color-coordinated food containers to keep the theme consistent throughout. Use toothpicks or other food picks to attach things like logo cut outs or Boom, and Thwack to foods like sandwiches and cupcakes. With a superhero party, you really cant go too far!
Personalization (invites, favors, labels)Personalization is a fantastic new trend in birthday parties. Having Super in front of your kids name will make their day. Weave the personalization throughout the party, from the invitations to the party favors. Its easy to personalize things from printing labels on your computer to purchasing pre-personalized things its much easier than you think. Even handwritten personalization goes a long way.
- Include your new superhero kids name, and/or the superheros logo, on things like the tent cards/food labels, water bottles/cups, and thank you cards.
- Make your childs superhero into his own character! Get him to draw his character, and use that as personalization all its own.
- A really fantastic way to bring a superhero theme into cups and bottles is to make your own capes or masks to affix to drinks and food items.
Superhero Games & ActivitesWhat fun is a party without any games? While the run-of-the-mill games are fun, use this opportunity as a chance to make your party shine. Games dont need much, and you dont have to have prizes to give away the winning is fun enough.
- Use your superhero as inspiration for games and activities. Make superhero capes out of vinyl tablecloths, and make cuffs and masks out of felt.
- Superheroes are always training why not have a superhero training session? Go outside and have a jumping competition, target practice with Nerf guns, or make baratangs out of cardboard to toss into a box.
- Get some trivia questions about your superhero, and have a superhero specific trivia game. For added sparkle, add a simple prize like a flashlight with the chosen superheros logo over the lens so they can have their own spotlight.
EntertainmentClowns and bouncy houses are fun, however, they dont really fit the superhero theme. After training, its time for superheroes to test their new-found skills, while you clean up the game and food aftermath. Take this time to enlist the help of friends, family, or other parents to help provide some superhero-inspired entertainment.
- If you have someone willing to be in distress, (mom kidnapped by an evil arch nemesis? Sister tied to a pretend railroad track?) have kids follow clues to save the day.
- Whats the icing on the cake of a superhero birthday party? A real superhero battle! Find two willing adults to dress up in costume and go head-to-head in an epic clash! After the evil villain has been detained, having the superhero available to take pictures with the kids, or tell a story about one of his favorite battles will be a sure fire way to keep every kids attention.
- Get creative with long balloons and make superhero accessories out of balloons! Print out some directions (or give directions as kids go) to make superhero swords, headbands, belts, or wrist bands.
Superhero Party FavorsNo party is complete without favors. The ending crescendo to your party symphony, favor bags are not a place to lose sight of your theme. Use the favor bag as a fantastic close to your party with superhero kits to go for each kid. From stickers and candy, to the table-cloth capes and items you made at the party, you can include all those things in the favor bags. Use labels, sharpies, or personalized bags to make sure each kid gets their own favor bag.
- Logo-inspired candies, or logo colored candies in a baggie are always a hit.
- A medal of honor for such heroic actions during the party will be a big bragging point.
- A superhero specific item like black licorice bats/bat cookies for Batman, silly string for Spiderman, rock candy or Pop Rock candy kryptonite for Superman, and neon green marshmallows for the Hulk are all fantastic candy-inspired items that put a party over the top.
- Finish it off with a comic book for kids to take home, and your party will go down a super-success!