What You'll Need:
- 1 Photocopied Black & White Picture Per Guest
- Sand in Several Colors (found at most craft stores)
- 1 Bowl for Each Color of Sand
- 1 Spoon for Each Bowl
- Several Small Bottles of Glue, or 1 Larger Bottle Distributed into Several Containers
- Q-Tips (if using several containers of glue instead of individual bottles)
The picture you select for this activity should be large and open so that the children can easily fill each part of it with glue and sand. Easy coloring book pictures work well.
If older children are attending the party, they may prefer to draw their own pictures. In this case, make sure to have some blank paper and markers on hand.
At the Party:
- Give each child one of the photocopied pictures (or a blank piece of paper and a marker for older children).
- Have the children carefully fill in one area of the design with glue, using either individual bottles or Q-Tips dipped in glue.
- Next, they should use a spoon to sprinkle one color of sand over the glue-covered area. (Make sure to tell them to work with just one color of sand at a time!)
- When each child has finished covering one area with glue and sand, carefully pick up the edges of the paper and shake the extra sand back into the appropriate colored-sand container.
- Then, have the children cover another area with glue and sand, and so on, until the picture is completed.