Sports Party Ideas
Created on June 14, 2016
Is your child a sports star? Does he or she love playing basketball in the winter, soccer in the summer, and every other sport in between? If so, then there's no better way to celebrate their special day than with a fantastic birthday party planned using these Sports Party Ideas. Here you'll find suggestions for everything from invitations to party games that will make all of your child's pals feel like MVPs!
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
- Sports movies, such as Little Giants (Rated PG), The Rookie (Rated G), Bend it Like Beckham (Rated PG-13), or Air Bud (Rated PG)
- Sports uniforms and sweatbands
- Sports equipment (basketballs, baseballs, baseball bats, soccer balls, etc.)
- Water bottles
- Coach whistles
- Posters of famous athletes
- A pinata
Sports Party Invitations
- Buy an inflatable soccer ball, basketball, or football and write the party details on it while it's fully inflated. Deflate the ball and send it in an envelope. Your guest will have fun blowing it up to get the details for your event.
- Take a photo of your child in their favorite sports uniform. Print the photo on the front of a top-fold card and write your party details inside.
- Cut the shape of a sports trophy (traditionally shaped like a goblet) out of yellow cardstock. Write your party details on the front.
- Cut the shapes of various sports balls out of cardstock and glue them side by side. Have your child color each ball and then help them write a few party details on each. Fold them accordion style before putting them in the envelopes.
If you would rather not make your own invites, but would still like a personalized touch, opt for personalized sports invitations!
Sports Party Decoration & Food Ideas
Sports Party Decoration Ideas
- Use your child's school colors for your traditional decorations like streamers and balloons. Tie groups of three or four balloons together and anchor them around the party area with balloon weights.
- Set mounds of different sports balls and equipment around the party area. Fill a wire basket with sports equipment as well and use it as a centerpiece.
- Hang pairs of high tops or cleats by their laces throughout the party area.
- Turn a table into a miniature sports field using markers or Washi tape on top of a solid-colored tablecloth. For example, you could place white "yard markers" on a green table cover to turn it into a football field or create a basketball court by marking the free-throw area over a pale yellow tablecloth.
- Hang a banner over the entranceway to the party that says, "Are You Ready to Rumble?"
- Hang posters of famous sports stars or stadiums on the walls of the party area.
- Alternatively, you can tape trading cards and Sports Illustrated covers around the party area as well.
- For a skateboard, motocross, or BMX party set up ramps, cones and obstacles for your guests to drive around. Be sure to provide helmets and kneepads too!
Sports Party Food Ideas
- Serve traditional ballpark fares, such as peanuts, hot dogs, soft pretzels, root beer, and lemonade.
- Serve popcorn in traditional popcorn bags. Set out various toppings your guests can add, such as caramel sauce, powdered cheese, melted butter, and cinnamon.
- Make "All-Star Sandwiches" by using a cookie cutter to cut sandwich bread into star shapes.
- Serve drinks in sports bottles and snacks in toy baseball or football helmets.
- For an extreme sports party, serve dirt cups to your guests!
- Bake or buy a round cake, then ice it to look like your child's favorite sports ball.
Sports Party Favor Ideas
Sports Party Favor Ideas
- Small trophies
- Sports themed backpack clips
- Stickers and temporary tattoos
- Notepads and pencils
- Sports Poppers
- Tote bags
- Sports water bottles
- Sports wristbands
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, carabiners, and key chains. For more Sports ideas, check us out on Pinterest.