Sports Party Ideas
last updated 1/7/2019
Is your child a sports star? Does he or she love playing basketball in the winter, soccer in the summer, and every other sport in between? If so, then theres no better way to celebrate their special day than with a fantastic birthday party planned using these Sports Party Ideas. Here you'll findsuggestions for everything from invitations to party games that will make all of your child's palsfeel like MVPs! Shop ourSports Party Supplies Shop ourSports Birthday Supplies Browse this guide: Sports Invitations Sports Decorations Sports Food Sports Party Favors Sports Games & Activities
Planning & InvitationsWhat Do I Need For the Party? In addition to basicsports party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing, or renting the following items for your little one's athletic-themed occasion:
- Sports movies, such as: Little Giants (Rated PG), The Rookie (Rated G), Bend it Like Beckham (Rated PG-13), or Air Bud (Rated PG)
- Sports uniforms and sweatbands
- Sports equipment (basketballs, baseballs, baseball bats, soccer balls, etc.)
- Water bottles
- Coach whistles
- Posters of famous athletes
- Buy an inflatable soccer ball, basketball, or football and write the party details on it while it's fully inflated. Deflate the ball and send it in an envelope. Your guest will have fun blowing it up to get the details for your event.
- Take a photo of your child in their favorite sports uniform. Print the photo on the front of a top-fold card and write your party details inside.
- Cut the shape of a sports trophy (traditionally shaped like a goblet) out of yellow cardstock. Write your party details on the front.
- Cut the shapes of various sports balls out of cardstock and glue them side by side. Have your child color each ball and then help them write a few party details on each. Fold them accordion style before putting them in the envelopes.
Sports Party Decoration Ideas Enhance your sports theme by dressing up your home with decorations that will not only create a fun atmosphere, but will also set the mood for the party.Sports Party Food Ideas Whether youre throwing the party at home or are hosting it at a ball field or park, it can be fun to include some sporty snacks that fit your theme! Here are some suggestions of themed food to serve:
- Use your child's school colors for your traditional decorations like streamers and balloons. Tie groups of three or four balloons together and anchor them around the party area withballoon weights.
- Set mounds of different sports balls and equipment around the party area. Fill a wire basket with sports equipment as well and use it as a centerpiece.
- Hang pairs of high tops or cleats by their laces throughout the party area.
- Turn a table into a miniature sports field using markers or Washi tape on top of a solid colored tablecloth. For example, you could place white "yard markers" on a green table cover to turn it into a football field, or create a basketball court by marking the free throw area over a pale yellow tablecloth.
- Hang a banner over the entranceway to the party that says, "Are You Ready to Rumble?"
- Hang posters of famous sports stars or stadiums on the walls of the party area.
- Alternatively, you can tape trading cards and Sports Illustrated covers around the party area as well.
- For a skateboard, motocross, or BMX party set up ramps, cones and obstacles for your guests to drive around. Be sure to provide helmets and kneepads too!
- Serve traditional ballpark fare, such as: peanuts, hot dogs,soft pretzels, root beer, and lemonade.
- Serve popcorn in traditional popcorn bags. Set out various toppings your guests can add, such as caramel sauce, powdered cheese, melted butter, and cinnamon.
- Make "All-Star Sandwiches" by using a cookie cutter to cut sandwich bread into star shapes.
- Serve drinks in sports bottles and snacks in toy baseball or football helmets.
- For an extreme sports party, servedirt cupsto your guests!
- Bake or buy a round cake, then ice it to look like your child's favorite sports ball. We have a variety of different ideas for sports cakes in our article onBirthday Cake Ideas.
Party Favor IdeasSports Party Favor Ideas Thank your guests with sporty party favors! Youll knock it out of the park with the goodie bags when you include:
- Small trophies
- Sports themed backpack clips
- Stickers and temporary tattoos
- Notepads and pencils
- Sports Poppers
- Tote bags
- Sports water bottles
- Sports wristbands
Party Planning ToolboxUse the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Sports Party Supplies:Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Personalized Items:Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.