Space Party Ideas
Created on June 14, 2016
3...2...1...Blast Off! Entertain your future astronauts with our Space Party Ideas. You'll find party planning suggestions that take your Space Birthday Bash to another stratosphere. Space Party activities like our Flying Saucer Craft and Space games like our Martian Cake Hunt will keep your guests busy and ensure your party is over the moon! We've also included plenty of tips for space decorations, invitations, and space party favors.
Space Party Planning & Invitations
In addition to basic Space party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Space party:
- Glow in the dark planets and stars
- A space movie such as Wall-E, Space Camp, Star Wars, Star Trek, Space Buddies, Space Chimps, or Fly Me to the Moon
- Planet mobiles
- Space Ice Cream
- Plastic astronaut helmets
- A moon bounce
- A Space pinata
If you have the time to make your own invitations, you can customize them to fit your theme, and build excitement before the party even starts! For a Space Party, try one of these ideas:
- Find a photo (in a space book or online) that shows the Milky Way or the Solar System. Scan the photo and print it out on photo paper. Write your party details on the back.
- Cut a large circle out of blue construction paper and add continents cut out of green paper. The finished product should resemble Earth. On the front, write "Did you know that Earth is the 3rd planet from the sun? Come to [birthday child]'s birthday party to find out more!" Write the party details on the back.
- Cut out pictures of "space" scenes from magazines, such as space shuttle launches, astronauts in uniform, and solar systems. Write your party details in the center of a piece of card stock and paste your space images around your party details.
Space Party Decorating & Food
When it comes to throwing a space party, your decorations need to be out of this world. With so many space-themed party decorations to choose from, it might be hard to decide. Once you decide if you want to have an outer space party, galaxy party or a rocket party, you can start to pick decorations that fit the theme. Here are some ideas:
- Start your party by playing mood-setting background music from Star Wars, Star Trek, or 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- Decorate the party table to look like the moon! Use playdough to form craters on the table. Collect rocks, spray paint them silver, and set them on the table.
- Form constellations on the ceiling and walls with strings of small white lights (Christmas tree lights work well).
- Purchase glow-in-the-dark stars, available at most toy stores, and affix them to the ceiling or use them as balloon weights.
- Make moons by gluing dry beans or round cereal to paper plates, and then covering the plates with aluminum foil. The beans/cereal will form craters. After making your moons, hang them on the walls throughout the party area.
- Spray paint Styrofoam balls to represent planets, and hang them from the ceiling with clear fishing line along with stars and a moon. You can also attach them to helium balloons.
- Set up a "Pin the Hat on the Martian" game in the same vein as "Pin the Tail on the Donkey."
25% Off with code: bb25
When it comes to food, partygoers are usually perfectly content to eat pizza or hotdogs, which is certainly much easier on the hosts! However, if you have the time and would like to serve up some dishes that are out of this world, consider these ideas:
- Serve "Saturn Fruit Salad." Purchase a large melon, such as a cantaloupe or honeydew melon. Slice the melon in half, and scoop out the seeds. Then, cut the melon into rings. Stack up a few rings, with the largest one on the bottom and the smallest on top, and then fill the center with watermelon balls, fruit salad (homemade or from a can), and/or ice cream.
- Use round- and star-shaped cookie cutters to cut out sandwiches that look like planets and stars.
- Serve Space Ice Cream and other freezer-dried foods like the astronauts eat.
- Arrange bowls of snacks and other items you are serving in the shape of the big dipper on the table.
Space Party Favors
Thank your guests with out of this world party favors! To find a large variety of Space party favors, visit our store and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Wind up space toys
- Space activity books
- Space bounce balls
- Space goo
- Space helmets
- Space Ice Cream
- Alien toys
- Space slingshot rockets