What You'll Need:
- Elongated/Oblong Balloons
- Heavy Construction Paper (1 sheet per team)
- At Least 30' of Fishing Line (available at hardware stores)
- 4 Chairs
- 2 Straws
- Markers or Crayons
- Scotch Tape
At the Party:
- Set up four chairs in a rectangle based on the guidelines in the illustration below.
- Cut two 16' lengths of fishing line.
- Thread a straw onto each length of fishing line, and attach the lines to the chairs as detailed below.
- To start the game, divide the children into two teams, and give each team a piece of construction paper.
- Each team must fold its piece of paper in half, and then draw a rocket on it.
- Hang each team's rocket over one of the straws, balancing the papers at their folds.
- Attach the underside of each paper to its straw with one or two pieces of tape, and then staple or tape together the bottom two flaps.
- Thread a balloon through each rocket so that it rests below the straw and parallel to it; make sure the nozzle end sticks out toward the chair on the starting side. (See the illustration below for clarification on this process.)
- Each team picks one person to blow up its balloon.
- That teammate inflates the balloon and pinches it shut. (DO NOT tie off the balloons!)
- Then, each team pulls its straw to the starting chair while continuing to hold the balloon shut.
- When you say, "Blast Off!" the team member who is holding the balloon closed lets it go.
- The team whose balloon touches the other chair first wins!
Top of Page