Sock Monkey Party Ideas
Sock monkeys were originally sewn out of Rockford Red Heel socks by women in the early 20th century. Since then, sock monkeys have become a piece of nostalgia loved by both children and adults. If you're looking for a trendy vintage birthday theme for your toddler then hold on to your socks and get ready to party with a bunch of monkeys!
Sock Monkey Party Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Sock Monkey party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Sock Monkey party:
- Sock monkeys
- Original Rockford Red Heel socks
- Sock monkey knit hats, slippers or other accessories
- Red and brown fabric to sew into decorations
- Mason jars
- Red and brown candy or treats
Sock Monkey Party Invitation Ideas
Invite your guests to monkey around by making your own creative invitations. If you have the time, here are some ideas to inspire you.
- Take a photo of your child hugging a sock monkey or wearing a sock monkey hat and print enough copies for each guest. On the back of each photo glue cardstock with the party information typed neatly on it. You can also include a small bag of banana Runts candy with each invite.
- Create monkey tails with long strips of brown felt threaded with elastic string. Include the tails with the invitations for your guests to wear at the party.
- Take a photo of you and your child making a funny face. Write "Monkey see. Monkey Do!" on the front of the card with the photo. Include the party information on the inside.
- Deliver your invitations rolled up inside a sock. You can use Red Heel socks or just brown socks to get the point across. Tie each sock closed with a pretty red bow.
Sock Monkey Decorating & Food Ideas
Sock Monkey Party Decoration Ideas
Get inspired by the way sock monkeys are made for your decorations. Here are some ideas that involve a little bit of sewing or none at all.
- Ask your guests to remove their shoes when the party begins. This way, everyone is in their socks! If you can, provide them Red Heel socks to wear.
- Sew your own pennant banner out of red, white and brown scraps. Simply cut 12 pennant shaped triangles out of the fabric and sew them in a row onto a 6 foot by 4 inch strip of fabric. Note: the banner will look cleaner if the edges are hemmed.
- Create a table runner out of red fabric and place it down the center of the dining table. Then, arrange each place setting around the perimeter of the table.
- The clothing designer Paul Frank uses a sock monkey as his company's logo. You may be able to find fabric with this logo pattern already on it to sew into cloth napkins or placemats.
- Use our personalized lollipops to create a gorgeous centerpiece. To make one, fill a tall clear vase with yellow gumballs or banana Runts candy and then arrange a dozen lollipops on top. Tie a red bow around the vase to finish the candy bouquet.
Sock Monkey Party Food Ideas
In addition to pizza, chicken fingers, hamburgers or hotdogs, you can add some Sock Monkey themed food into the mix. Here are some suggestions.
- Coconut Chicken: Make your own breaded chicken fingers but added shredded coconut into the mixture. The result is chicken that's crunchy and sweet.
- Color-coordinate the party snacks: Arrange red, brown and white candy on the party table in mason jars. Some candy ideas are red licorice, tootsie rolls, Snow Caps, strawberry candy, and mini chocolate bars.
- PB&J with Bananas: Serve peanut butter, jelly and banana sandwiches.
- Monkey Bread: Prepare monkey bread using our easy to follow recipe. You may want to cut the bread into bite-sized pieces for your guests and then serve in a bowl.
- Chocolate Banana Smoothies: Slice coconuts in half and use the shells as cups. In a blender, combine 1 banana, 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup, 1 cup milk and 1 cup crushed ice. Blend until smooth and serve inside the coconut shell!
Sock Monkey Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with wild party favors! To find a large variety of Monkey party favors, visit our store, and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Monkey wind-up toys
- Monkey stationary sets
- Monkey stickers
- Banana candy
- Temporary Tattoos
- Monkey lollipops