Shrek Party Ideas
Created on June 14, 2016
Journey to the land of Far, Far Away and party with Shrek, Fiona, Donkey and Puss in Boots! Our Shrek birthday party idea guide will help you grant birthday wishes for your child's Shrek party! Read on to discover magical ideas for invitations, food, decorations, party favors, games and activities!
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
- A bouncy castle
- Shrek movies, music and toys
- A waffle maker
- A karaoke machine
- Fairytale character costumes and Shrek ears
Shrek Party Invitations
- Deliver your invitations on old parchment. Burn the edges of manila construction paper or dye them with tea stains to achieve the right look. Make sure you don't burn the edges too much!
- Use hand-written calligraphy or a calligraphy font like Apple Chancery or Lucida Calligraphy with fun wording like:
Hear ye! Hear ye! Attention all ogres!Shrek and Aidan want you to come over! Head to the swamp, there's no time to lose, Donkey is ready to eat all the food!
Pressed for time but still want a personalized touch? Try our personalized Bug party invitations, which will include your child's name and all of the party details.
Decorating & Food Ideas
Shrek Party Decorations
- Have the party outside at a park or in your backyard. Set up the area like a picnic with wooden benches, a campfire and a sign that says "Beware of Ogre!"
- Decorate with green, brown and orange balloons and streamers.
- If your party is inside, create a swamp by covering the floor with brown and green Kraft paper. Hide rubber snakes and bugs around the room. Place gummy bugs and worms on the party table.
- Decorate the party table to look like a banquet with goblets, candlesticks, silver serving trays and a red velvet table runner. Use bright yellow- or gold-colored paper products.
- Create a special throne for the birthday child decorated with red velvet fabric and balloons.
- Make name cards for the guests and label them with creative fairytale names like "Brian in Boots, Princess Sarah" or "RumpleSteveskin."
Shrek Party Food
- Have a waffle sundae bar set up and label it "Donkey's Waffle House." Serve fresh waffles and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream and a cherry!
- Roast hot dogs and marshmallows over a campfire or a barbeque.
- Serve food medieval-style with no utensils but lots of napkins!
- Follow our recipe to make Dirt Cups.
- Serve "Shrek Soda" (Mountain Dew garnished with a gummy worm draped over the side of the cup)
- Serve "Ants on a Log" (celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins)
- Serve Snow White's red apples.
- Put out "Magic Beans" (jelly beans)
For a Shrek cake, ask your local grocery store if they have a Shrek-themed cake or decorate your own. Draw a Shrek face on an oval-shaped, green-frosted cake. Then, cover two plain breadsticks in the green frosting and insert one on either side of Shrek's face to make his ogre ears!
Party Favor Ideas
Shrek Party Favors
- Silly String, bounce putty, bouncy balls and disc launchers
- Gag gum, whoopee cushions and plastic bugs
- Tiara's, pixie dust (glitter in small bottles), bubbles and make-up
- Wrapped gingerbread men, red apples and chocolate pudding cups
- Small fairytale books, stickers and coloring books
To keep things easy, check out our large selection of party favors!