Sesame Street Party
P is for "party" with our Sesame Street birthday party ideas! Invite Elmo, Big Bird, and all the gang to celebrate your child's special day. Our planning guide uses a Sesame Street theme for creative invitations, decorating ideas, plus fun indoor and outdoor games to keep the party moving. These party ideas can also be used to create an Abby Cadabby birthday party, an Elmo birthday party, or a party based on other Sesame Street characters. Shop all our Sesame Street Party Supplies Browse this guide: Sesame Street Invitations Sesame Street Decorations Sesame Street Food Sesame Street Party Favors Sesame Street Games & Activities
Planning & InvitationsWhat Do I Need For the Party? In addition to basic Sesame Street party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Sesame Street party:
- Sesame Street movies, music and television episodes
- Sesame Street hand puppets or dolls
- Counting and alphabet toys such as blocks, books and games
- Costume accessories like Abby Cadabby wings, Cookie Monster headbands and Grover capes.
- Browse our First Birthday Party Ideas Guide for some basic tips on planning a Sesame Street party for babies.
- Invite your Sesame Street party guests with our Sesame Street 1st Birthday Invitations.
- Decorate the birthday child's highchair with a Sesame Street Highchair Kit and a Sesame Street 1st birthday bib.
- Bake or buy a small Sesame Street cake or cupcake just for the birthday child to smash into! Decorate with a Sesame Street candle and provide a separate cake for your adult Sesame Street party guests.
- To create an Elmo face invitation, cut an oval shape from red cardstock and a circle shape from orange cardstock. Use glue to attach the orange nose to the red oval face. Then add a pair of googly eyes to complete Elmo's face. Turn the face over and write your party information on the back.
- Another option is to use colored paper to match your child's favorite character. Fold the paper in half and let your child decorate the front with Sesame Street stickers. Write the party invitation details inside the card. Choose yellow paper for Big Bird, bright blue paper for Cookie Monster, or pink for Abby Cadabby.
- Add fun wording from the television show at the bottom of your invitation, such as: This invitation has been brought to you by the letter [first letter of your child's name] and the number [your child's age]!
- Invite your guests to wear their favorite Sesame Street shirt.
- Include a Sesame Street sticker with your Sesame Street invitations or seal the envelope with a personalized Elmo sticker.
- For a special touch, let us print personalized invitations for you! We'll include your child's name and all the party details with a background design that complements your Sesame Street party theme.
Sesame Street Party Decorations Choose from our list of decorating ideas to make your party area look like the real Sesame Street. Try just a few ideas, or go all out!
- Draw Big Bird's footprints with yellow chalk on the driveway to lead guests to your door.
- Choose the colors red, yellow and green for streamers, balloons, and table covers.
- Use all the Sesame Street toys you already own to decorate the party space.
- Place lots of letters and numbers on the doors and walls. You may already have foam letters as a bathtub toy, or magnetic letters on your refrigerator.
- Make a few large alphabet blocks from cardboard boxes. Cover the boxes with solid colored wrapping paper and draw one letter on each side.
- Make your own Sesame Street sign from yellow and green foam board. Add white letters to spell out "Sesame Street" and the numbers "123" on the top.
- Ask an older child or adult to make balloon animals for the children. Use one of our easy balloon kits that include an instruction book, balloons, and balloon pump.
- Make a banner that says "Welcome to Sesame Street!" and hang it near the party entrance. See our selection of Sesame Street banners and let us do the work for you!
- Or see our Sesame Street decorations for more quick and easy decorating choices!
- S is for "snacks" at this party! Start with Elmo's favorite food pizza! Then add a bowl of goldfish crackers in honor of Elmo's pet fish Dorothy. You can also serve sandwiches cut into squares and triangles.
- Make a batch of Jell-O Jigglers cut into shapes like circles and squares. This recipe will create Jell-O that is firm and does not melt. Combine 4 envelopes (1/4 oz. each) of unflavored gelatin with 3 packages (3 oz. each) of cherry flavored gelatin in a large bowl. Add 4 cups of boiling water and stir until dissolved (about two minutes). Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan and chill until set (at least one hour). Then cut into square, circle, and triangle shapes.
- Serve miniature pigs-in-a-blanket from the grocery store and call them Bert & Ernie's Hot Dogs. And give your favorite drinks a Sesame Street name such as Abby's Pink Lemonade or Big Bird's Apple Juice. Serve the drinks with shaped silly straws for even more fun.
- Bake or purchase large cookies and call them Cookie Monster Cookies. Instead of a cake, consider making cupcakes and decorate them to look like Elmo. Just cover the frosting with red sprinkles, add an orange jelly bean nose, and two mini-marshmallow eyes.
- Another cute idea is to bake two 9" round cakes and decorate each one to resemble a Sesame Street character. For example, you can frost one red and decorate it to look like Elmo; and frost the other one yellow and decorate it to look like Big Bird. You can adapt this idea for other Sesame Street characters, too, such as using pink frosting for Abby Cadabby or blue frosting for Cookie Monster. Use small candies for the eyes, nose, and mouth.
Party Favor IdeasSesame Street Party Favor Ideas Thank your guests with memorable party favors! To find a large variety of Sesame Street party favors, visit our Sesame Street Party Page and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Sesame Street activity books
- Chunky board books
- Sesame Street sticker books
- Party games for toddlers
- Bubbles and super bounce balls
- Shaped rubber bands
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Party Planning ToolboxUse the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Sesame Street Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Sesame Street Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.