Sesame Street Party
P is for "party" with our Sesame Street birthday party ideas! Invite Elmo, Big Bird, and all the gang to celebrate your child's special day. Our planning guide uses a Sesame Street theme for creative invitations, decorating ideas, plus fun indoor and outdoor games to keep the party moving. These party ideas can also be used to create an Abby Cadabby birthday party, an Elmo birthday party, or a party based on other Sesame Street characters.
Sesame Street Party Planning & Invitations
In addition to basic Sesame Street Party Supplies, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Sesame Street party:
- Sesame Street movies, music and television episodes
- Sesame Street hand puppets or dolls
- Counting and alphabet toys such as blocks, books and games
- Costume accessories like Abby Cadabby wings, Cookie Monster headbands and Grover capes.
- To create an Elmo face invitation, cut an oval shape from red cardstock and a circle shape from orange cardstock. Use glue to attach the orange nose to the red oval face. Then add a pair of googly eyes to complete Elmo's face. Turn the face over and write your party information on the back.
- Another option is to use colored paper to match your child's
favorite character. Fold the paper in half and let your child decorate
the front with stickers.
Write the party invitation details inside the card.
Sesame Street Decorating & Food
Choose from our list of decorating ideas to make your party area look like the real Sesame Street. Try just a few ideas, or go all out!
- Draw Big Bird's footprints with yellow chalk on the driveway to lead guests to your door.
- Choose the colors red, yellow and green for streamers, balloons, and table covers.
- Use all the Sesame Street toys you already own to decorate the party space.
- Place lots of letters and numbers on the doors and walls. You may already have foam letters as a bathtub toy, or magnetic letters on your refrigerator.
- Make a few large alphabet blocks from cardboard boxes. Cover the boxes with solid colored wrapping paper and draw one letter on each side.
- Make your own Sesame Street sign from yellow and green foam board. Add white letters to spell out "Sesame Street" and the numbers "123" on the top.
- Ask an older child or adult to make balloon animals for the children. Use one of our easy balloon kits that include an instruction book, balloons, and balloon pump.
- Make a banner that says "Welcome to Sesame Street!" and hang it near the party entrance. See our selection of Sesame Street banners and let us do the work for you!
Sesame Street Party Food Ideas
- S is for "snacks" at this party! Start with Elmo's favorite food pizza! Then add a bowl of goldfish crackers in honor of Elmo's pet fish Dorothy. You can also serve sandwiches cut into squares and triangles.
- Make a batch of Jell-O Jigglers cut into shapes like circles and squares. This recipe will create Jell-O that is firm and does not melt. Combine 4 envelopes (1/4 oz. each) of unflavored gelatin with 3 packages (3 oz. each) of cherry flavored gelatin in a large bowl. Add 4 cups of boiling water and stir until dissolved (about two minutes). Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan and chill until set (at least one hour). Then cut into square, circle, and triangle shapes.
- Bake or purchase large cookies and call them Cookie Monster Cookies. Instead of a cake, consider making cupcakes and decorate them to look like Elmo. Just cover the frosting with red sprinkles, add an orange jelly bean nose, and two mini-marshmallow eyes.
Sesame Street Party Favors
Thank your guests with memorable party favors! To find a large variety of Sesame Street party favors, visit our Sesame Street Party Page and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Sesame Street activity books
- Chunky board books
- Sesame Street sticker books
- Party games for toddlers
- Bubbles and super bounce balls
- Shaped rubber bands
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops