Get ready to surprise your guests with this experiment. All it takes is a pack of Mentos® mint candy and a 2-liter bottle of diet cola to impress even the most skeptical scientist. This experiment is very messy so be sure to do it outside.
What Happens: Once the candy is dropped into the diet cola, all the soda will shoot out of the top of the bottle high into the air.
What You'll Need:
- 1 2-liter bottle of diet cola (must be diet)
- 1 pack of Mentos® mint candy (must be mint)
- A thick piece of paper
All you need to do to prepare for this experiment is roll up your sleeves and get ready to take a big step back! Make sure everyone watching is standing away from the bottle.
At the Party:
- Drop the candy into the diet cola one at a time quickly. The best way to do this is to let the candy slide out of the wrapper into the bottle.
- Immediately and tightly cover the top of the bottle with a thick piece of paper.
- When you're ready, slide out the paper, take a big step back, and watch as the soda shoots into the air!
- This experiment is over quickly so you may want to have several packs of candy and several bottles of diet cola for an encore performance.
- See if the children can guess how high the soda is going to shoot out!