Puppy Dog Party Ideas
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?In addition to basic puppy party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing, or renting the following items:
- Dog beds
- Dog houses
- Dog stuffed animals
- Clean, new dog toys
- Photographs of puppies to hang around the room
- A real, well-behaved dog
- A dog movie such as Benji (rated G), Air Bud (rated PG), Bolt (rated PG), 101 Dalmatians (rated G), Lady and the Tramp (rated G), or Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Begins (rated PG)
- A Dog Shaped Piata
Puppy Dog Party Invitations
Creative invitations can help build excitement before a party. If you have the time to make your own, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Cut a dog bone shape out of white cardstock. Punch a hole in the top and attach a metal key ring. Write the party details on one side of the "dog tag" and mail to your guests.
- Fold a sheet of paper in half to create a card-style invitation. Draw a large paw print on the front. Run a glue stick within the lines of the paw and toes and sprinkle white glitter on top. Write your party details on the inside.
- Attach a card-style invitation to a small squeaky dog toy and hand-deliver your invitations or mail them in padded envelopes.
- Cut the shape of a fire hydrant out of red construction paper and write the party details on one side.
- Use creative wording for the party details, such as:
If you love puppies, you're in for a treat,
We're having a party that's gonna be sweet.
Gavin's birthday event will be doggone fun,
Your tails will be wagging when the day is done!
Decorating & Food Ideas
Puppy Dog Party Decoration Ideas
- Let paw prints lead the way! Use sidewalk chalk to draw puppy prints on the driveway or sidewalk, or up the steps. Construction paper paw prints can be used indoors.
- Use dry erase markers to create paw prints on windows or mirrors.
- A large cardboard box can be used to DIY a doghouse. Place it in front of your open door, and let your guests crawl through it to enter the party area.
- Draw dog faces on white balloons with a black marker, attach construction paper ears, and place them around the party space in groups of five to turn ordinary balloon bouquets into a pack of pups.
- Use face paint to draw a doggie nose and whiskers on each child's face as they arrive, and then give each guest a red bandana to tie loosely around their neck.
- Use already owned dog stuffed animals as centerpieces, or place the toy hounds in groups around the party space to enhance the puppy-minded environment.
- Make large signs with sayings like "Wipe Your Paws", "Puppy Crossing", "Beware of Dogs", "No Cats Allowed", etc., and hang them on the doors and walls.
- Make a playlist of songs like "Puppy Love", "Who Let the Dogs Out", "How Much is That Doggy in the Window", and "BINGO" to use as background music
Puppy Dog Themed Food Ideas
- Serve snacks, ice cream, and cake to your guests in new, clean dog bowls. Use paint pens or permanent markers to personalize the bowls with each child's name.
- Serve cookies or sandwiches cut with a dog bone cookie cutter. Brownies or crispy rice cereal treats can also be served this way.
- Offer "Puppy Chow" made from cereal snack mix.
- Make a few "Dog Food" labels for empty containers, and fill them with round children's cereal, such as Cheerios or Fruit Loops.
- Fill a bowl with graham cracker snacks in the shape of doggie bones, often sold as Scooby Snacks.
- Hot dogs make great puppy party food!
- Rename cupcakes "Pupcakes", and decorate each with white icing and a paw print. To create a paw print, use one Junior Mint candy as the paw pad and four brown M&Ms as the toes.
- Make a large paw print cake by using one round cake as the paw and four small cupcakes around the top half as the toes.
Party Favor Ideas
Puppy Dog Party FavorsWhen it's time for your canine festivities to come to a close, thank your little one's friends for coming with puppy-focused party favors. Here are some themed treats that are sure to do the trick when it comes to maintaining your theme:
- Plush dog toys
- Puppy hats
- Bone-shaped silly straws
- Puppy figures
- Dog bone candy and other treats
- Puppy ear headbands
- Paw print tattoos
- Themed wristbands
- Puppy pencils and notepads
- Personalized products such as zipper pulls, bubbles, and stickers.
Also, you can consider using complete favor sets that are pre-made with everything you need to make an awesome goodie bag.