Fishing for Gold
What You'll Need:
- 1 Long (12"–15") Pipe Cleaner per Child
- Colored Tissue Paper
- A few 1"-Wide Paint Brushes (at least 1 for every 2 guests)
- A few Pairs of Safety Scissors
- Elmer's Glue (mixed 3 parts glue to 1 part water)
- 1 6"-Long Piece of Fishing Line or String per Guest
- A Coat Hanger
- 1 3'-Long Piece of Fishing Line or String
- A Strong Magnet
- A Stick or Yardstick
- A Marker
- 1 Paper Clip per Guest
- 1 Small Prize per Guest
- Funny Activities Written on Small Pieces of Paper (at least 1 for each "fisherman"), like:
- Make a fishy face.
- Fly like a seagull.
- Make noises like a seal.
- Wiggle your arms like an octopus.
- Walk like One-Legged Jack.
- Squawk and Talk like a parrot.
- Give each child a pipe cleaner to bend into a fish shape.
- Once the children have each made a fish, help them cut tissue paper about 1/2" larger than their pipe-cleaner figures.
- Have the children lay their pipe-cleaner fish on top of their cut pieces of tissue paper, and then brush both with the diluted glue mixture.
- Help each child carefully fold the edges of his or her paper over the pipe-cleaner frame. If needed, add more of the glue mixture so that the tissue paper sticks to the pipe cleaner.
- Tie a 6"-long piece of string to each completed fish. Hang the fish from the coat hanger and let them dry for about 30 minutes.
- Tie one end of the 3'-long string to the stick, and tie the other end around the magnet.
- Next, write each child's name on his or her fish, and attach a paper clip to either the fish or their strings.
- Put the fish in a box or behind a sofa.
- Let each guest take a turn using the pole you made to fish in the box or behind the sofa.
- When a child catches a fish, identify the child who made the fish and have him or her pick a funny activity from the pile. (If more than one fish is caught, throw one back.)
- Award the children small prizes for performing their chosen activities.
- The last person who's fish is caught is the winner because his or her fish got away the most!
Top of Page