Lobster Hat Craft
What You'll Need:
- Paper Plates (1 per guest)
- Scissors or an X-Acto Knife
- a Red Marker
- Our Lobster Hat Pattern
- A Pen or Pencil
- A Hole Punch
- Red Poster Board
- Red Construction Paper
- Paste or a Stapler
- Brass Paper Fasteners (2 per guest)
- Red or Black Pipe Cleaners (2 per guest)
At the Party:
- Print a copy of our Lobster Hat Pattern, and cut out the pieces.
- Lay the cut-out tail, claw and claw hinge pieces from the Lobster Hat Pattern on the red poster board, trace the quantity specified on each piece, and cut out the traced pieces. Repeat until you have 1 set per guest.
- Punch holes in the claw and claw hinge pieces where indicated on the pattern.
- Lay the cut-out leg piece from the pattern on the red construction paper, trace it 8 times, and cut out the traced pieces. Repeat until you have 1 set per guest.
- Fold the construction-paper legs accordion-style (lengthwise), then unfold them.
- Use scissors or an X-Acto knife to cut out the centers of the paper plates, leaving a 2" - 2 1/2" round border on each one. Discard the centers, and color the rings red.
- Punch 4 holes in a square pattern at the top of each ring. The holes should be about 3/4" apart from each other.
- Give each child 1 set of the pre-prepared lobster hat pieces, 2 pipe cleaners and 2 brass paper fasteners.
- Show the children how to attach the claw hinges to the claws (as shown in the picture above) using the brass paper fasteners.
- Have each child glue or staple:
- 1 claw to the left of the 4 holes at the top edge of the ring;
- 1 claw to the right of the holes;
- the tail to the bottom edge of the ring;
- 4 legs along the left edge; and,
- 4 legs along the right edge.
- Have each child thread 1 pipe cleaner up through each pair of holes from underneath his or her ring to form 4 tentacles.
- Let the hats dry for a period of time, if necessary. The children can then wear the hats during the party and take them home, if desired.
Top of Page