Little Mermaid Party Ideas
Whether your little one is a fan of Ariel the Little Mermaid or just has a fascination with those mystical beings that live in the sea, throw her a magical party with our Little Mermaid Party Ideas! From invitations to party favors, we have all the bases covered so your party goes swimmingly!
Little Mermaid Party Planning & Invitations
Basic party supplies include tableware, such as plates, napkins, cups, and cutlery, as well as a tablecloth, streamers, and balloons. You can stick with the basics, or add other items to fit your theme. For example, for a Mermaid Party, you may also want to consider renting or purchasing the following:
- The Little Mermaid on DVD (Rated G)
- The Little Mermaid Soundtrack
If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few ideas to consider:
- Purchase seashells at a craft store, or collect them on the beach and wash and dry them thoroughly. Write your party details on the shells and send them in highly padded envelopes, or hand deliver them to your guests.
- Cut the shape of a fish out of colored construction paper. Run a
glue stick around the edge of the cutout and sprinkle with glitter.
- Punch a hole in the corner of a card-style invitation and attach it to a sheet of mermaid stickers or a small mermaid figurine.
- Send your invitation as a message in a bottle! Write your party details on a sheet of construction paper. Clean out old pop bottles, roll the invitation into a tube and slip it inside. Hand deliver these to your guests, or to add to the mystery, leave them on each guest's front porch! To save time, consider our Message in a Bottle invitations.
Little Mermaid Party Decorating & Food
To transform your party area into a mystical, under-the-sea wonderland, consider these options:
- Scatter seashells, sand dollars and plastic starfish and seahorses on the tables and windowsills around the party area.
- Cover the ceiling, walls and floor with transparent cellophane wrap to give the impression of being underwater.
- Hang a banner near the entrance to the party. Check out our personalized mermaid banner and let us do the work for you.
- Tie groups of three or four balloons together and tie them to the backs of chairs. Anchor them with balloon weights and set them near doorways or in the corners of the party area. Scatter blue, non-helium balloons around the floor.
- Fill fish tanks or fish bowls with water and plastic sea creatures, such as fish, crabs, and starfish.
- Hang plastic fish from the ceiling using clear fishing line.
- Print out photos of mermaids and attach them along a broad strip of ribbon. Hang the ribbon along the edge of the food table or along the top of the entranceway.
It can be fun for the host and the guests to include theme-specific treats during the party. For a mermaid theme, consider the following ideas:
- Serve blue jello in clear cups. Before the jello sets, add a gummy fish to each cup.
- Serve goldfish crackers, sour gummy fish and octopi, and chocolate turtles in large, clean, plastic seashells.
- Cook seashell-shaped pasta and serve chilled with a little butter.
- Use cookie cutters to cut fish and seashell shapes out of peanut butter sandwiches, cheese slices,
- Tint cream cheese with blue food coloring and spread on bagels cut into fourths. Add one goldfish cracker to each.
- Make a Mermaid cake by baking a 9"x13" cake and frosting it in blue frosting. Place a mermaid figurine in the center. Add decorations like gummy fish, wisps of seaweed drawn with green food gel or icing, and an octopus made by surrounding a red gumball body with 8 red licorice string tentacles.
Little Mermaid Party Favors
Thank your guests with under the sea party favors! To find a large variety of themed party favors, visit our Little Mermaid party page and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Ariel bubbles
- Blowfish squirts
- Stickers and sticker books
- Bath and body gel
- Squishy sea creatures
- Costume jewelry
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops