Lion King Party
It's difficult to watch Disney's classic movie The Lion King and not fall in love with all the characters and music. If your child can't stop singing "Hakuna Matata" then it may be time to invite your favorite little animals over for a royal birthday celebration! Below are some ideas for you to pounce on including suggestions for Lion King invitations, decorations, food, favors and free games. Shop all our Lion King Party Supplies Browse this guide: Invitations Decorations Food Party Favors Games & Activities
Planning & InvitationsWhat Do I Need For the Party? In addition to basic Jungle party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Lion King party:
- The Lion King on DVD or Blu-Ray (available in October 2012)
- The Lion King music from the movie or Broadway show
- The Lion King stuffed animals
- Animal costumes such as our lion headband.
- A petting zoo
- An animal shaped pinata
- Record a video of your child singing one of the songs from the Lion King. At the end of the song your child can say "please come to my Lion King party" along with the date and time. Copy the video onto a CD and mail to each guest. Write the party details on the CD sleeve too.
- Mail each invitation with a small Lion King figure, animal figure or a CD of songs from the movie.
- Dress your child in a Simba or Nala costume and take a photo. Upload the photo to your computer to make an invitation by using photo software (like Photoshop). On the front of the invitation you can add the words "I Just Can't Wait to Turn 5!" On the back you can add the party details and a cute rhyme such as:
Come roar with Tyler on top of Pride Rock, We'll pounce and play at 2 o'clock. They'll be cake to eat and songs to sing, So celebrate with us and The Lion King!
Lion King Party Decoration Ideas Turn your home into a jungle fit for a king with the following Lion King decoration ideas.
- Ask your guests to arrive dressed as an animal. Their costumes will contribute to the decor and atmosphere.
- Play music from the movie or Broadway show quietly in the background to add ambiance.
- To create a jungle canopy, hang a lot of green, lime green and brown crepe paper streamers from the ceiling. Then inflate balloons with the same colors to tie off with green curling ribbon.
- Use silk potted plants and flowers to decorate the floor and table of your Lion King party.
- Place Lion King figurines and stuffed animals around the room. You can also mix in any other stuffed animals you own. If you have a Zazu figure, hang him from the ceiling using fishing line. A lion pinata can also double as decoration.
- Draw Simba symbols on brown craft paper to hang around the room. You can use the symbol Rafiki draws on the tree as your example.
- Decorate uncovered surfaces with animal print fabric.
- Cut out construction paper paw prints and tape them going up a wall or to the front door.
- Hakuna Mataters: Turn tater tots into bugs by drawing faces, antennae and little legs on each tot using ketchup. For older children, you can make caterpillars by placing several tater tots on a toothpick or skewer.
- Mini Cheese Steak Subs: Lions love to eat steak but since your cubs aren't fully grown we suggest serving Steak 'Ums with cheese on small sub rolls.
- Animal Shaped Sandwiches: Use this recipe to get ideas for cookie cutter sandwiches.
- Banana Pops: Insert a Popsicle stick into the bottom of a halved banana. Pour chocolate syrup over the banana until it is completely covered. Roll the chocolate-covered banana in a thin layer of nuts. Freeze 4-6 hours before serving.
- Dirt Cups: Use this recipe to make chocolate pudding and cookie cups your guests will devour.
- Bug Bowl: Set out small bowls and fill each with different gummy insects.
- Use our chocolate cake recipe or yellow cake recipe to make the cupcake batter.
- Make the frosting using our Buttercream frosting recipe.
- Divide the frosting into separate bowls and add a different color of food coloring to each bowl. Use whatever colors match the animals you plan to make.
- Frost the cupcakes and decorate using icing, sprinkles, candy and other shaped treats.
Party Favor IdeasLion King Party Favor Ideas Thank your guests with roaring party favors! We carry Lion King party favors as well as some general jungle party favors. To find a large variety of jungle party favors, visit our Jungle party page and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Squirt toys
- Mini stuffed animals
- Animal shaped rubber bands
- Animal wind-up toys
- Jungle animal stickers and temporary tattoos
- Fun-shaped candy
Party Planning ToolboxUse the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Jungle Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Safari Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.