What You'll Need:
At the Party:
- Dark Green Paper Cups (1 per guest)
- Jointed Straws (1 per guest)
- A Hole Punch
- Red and Orange Construction Paper
- Wiggle Eyes
- 6" of 1.5"-Wide Ribbon (1 strip per guest)
Walk your guests through the following instructions for creating their pet dragons:
- Lay the cup on the table with the opening facing you.
- As illustrated below, cut two triangular wedges out of the left and right sides of the cup to make the dragon's jaws.
- Punch a hole in the middle of the cup between the dragon's jaws, as shown above.
- Slip a straw through the hole up to its joint, bend it over, and tape it down inside the cup. (This will form a handle by which the dragon can be puppeteered later.)
- Glue one end of the ribbon to the bottom of the cup (i.e. the dragon's head) to form the Dragon's scales. Fringe the other end of the ribbon with scissors.
- Glue the wiggle eyes onto the side of the cup opposite the straw.
- Cut out a "flaming tongue" from construction paper, and attach it below the wiggle eyes using glue or tape.
- Add scales or other decorations to the dragon's body using markers.
Have your guests run outside with their dragons flying behind them for a great photo opportunity!