What You'll Need:
Purchase thin Styrofoam boards from the floral department of your local craft store, or simply save the foam trays that meat is packaged on in the grocery store. You will need one or two for each guest plus several extras. If you wish, paint them brown to resemble wooden boards.
At the Party:
- Explain to the children that only very skilled martial artists can break wooden boards and that they shouldn't try this activity on real wood.
- Let the children line up to take turns, with the birthday child going first.
- Have two adults hold the foam board at chest height for the child.
- Let each child make a loud yell at the moment he/she strikes the foam board.
- The foam should break easily so that each guest will be successful.
- Don't be surprised if the children want to repeat this activity!