Object of the Game:
To finish with more players on your team than on the opposing team.
How to Play:
- Divide the children into two equal teams, and select a captain for each.
- Have the teams form two lines running distance apart from each other.
- Team members should stand shoulder-to-shoulder, holding hands and facing the opposing team and create a link by holding hands.
- The captain of the first team selects a player to try to break through the opposing team's city gates. The other team chants:
"He stuck a feather in his hat,
And hurried to town
And children met him with a horse
For the gates were broken down."
The chosen player then runs toward the calling team and tries to break through the city gates.
- If the player is successful, he or she gets to pick a member of the opposing team to take back to his or her team. If the player is unsuccessful in breaking through the line, he or she becomes a prisoner of the the opposing team.
- Play then alternates to the other team, and so on until time is up.
- After a designated period of time, the team with the most players wins.