Harry Potter Party Ideas
Transform your child and his or her guests from Muggles to wizards with our Harry Potter Party Ideas! We have suggestions for everything from invitations to activities that will ensure a mystical birthday bash no one will forget!
Harry Potter Party Planning & Invitations
In addition to basic magical party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Harry Potter party:
- Harry Potter movies, soundtracks or video games
- A Selection of Magic Tricks
- You may also want to consider hiring a magician to come perform for
- Fold a piece of cardstock in half to create a top-fold card. If you
are artistic, draw the Hogwarts crest on the front. Underneath the crest, write, "You are Invited..."
- Punch a hole in the corner of a card-style invitation and attach it to a magic wand. Ask your guests to bring their wand with them to the party.
- Create a top-fold card and divide the front of the card into four
squares. Write one of the Hogwarts house names in each square (i.e.
Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff).
Harry Potter Decorating & Food
Transform your party area into a page out of the Harry Potter series with some 'mystical' decorations:
- Make a "Sorting Hat" by cutting a cone shape from a 24" x 18" piece of purple poster board, as shown below. Roll it into a cone, and tape or staple it closed. Cut out star and crescent moon shapes from yellow construction paper, and glue them onto the hat. As each guest arrives, put the hat over his or her head and announce that they have been chosen to the [child's last name]'s house! Then, use the Sorting Hat as a centerpiece.
- Hang two or three stuffed owls from the ceiling of the party area.
- Cut a large lightning bolt out of white poster board and spray paint it silver. Hang it on the door leading to the party.
- Create placemats that represent the four houses of Hogwarts using
plain white construction paper and colored markers. Write one of the
house names on each placemat, and decorate them with the appropriate
- Slytherin: Green and Silver
- Gryffindor : Scarlet and Gold
- Hufflepuff: Yellow and White
- Ravenclaw: Blue and Silver
When it comes to food, your guests would most likely be perfectly happy with pizza or hotdogs. However, if you would like to include some Harry Potter themed snacks, consider these ideas:
- Serve "Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans." We suggest using Jelly Belly brand jelly beans because of the wide variety of flavors available.
- Make chocolate frogs using chocolate chips and gummy frogs (available at candy stores). Microwave one cup of chocolate chips for one minute or until melted, and stir. Dip the gummy frogs in the melted chocolate, and then place them on wax paper to cool. Keep the frogs chilled until you're ready to serve them.
- Serve "magic potion". Freeze cranberry and grape juice in ice cube trays before the party. Serve a colorless soda at the party, such as ginger ale or lemon-lime. Let your guests select their ice cubes, which will "magically" change the color of their drinks.
- There are a number of treats from the Harry Potter stories that are made from everyday products, such as Butter Beer (root beer), Chocoballs (chocolate covered strawberry mousse balls), Fizzing Whizbees (sherbet balls), Rock Cakes (randomly shaped cakes with raisins), chocolate eclairs, and licorice wands.
Harry Potter Party Favors
Put a smile on your guests' faces by sending them home with party favors that fit your theme. You could give one large favor, such as one of the Harry Potter novels or movie tickets; or combine smaller favors such as:
- A magic wand
- A book of magic tricks
- Harry Potter stickers, pencils and stationary items
- Plastic Harry Potter glasses