Classroom Halloween Party Ideas
Created on June 14, 2016
Are you going "batty" trying to plan the perfect Halloween classroom
party? We can help! We've compiled a variety of fun decorating ideas,
treats, and activities for a range of ages and class sizes so that you
can choose the perfect combination for your group and allotted party
time. (If you are throwing a Halloween party for your own children at
home, check out our Home Halloween Party Ideas).
Classroom Halloween Party Preparation
When planning your classroom party, make sure to consider the following:
- Number of Children in the Class. If you have a group of 12 or more, consider setting up activity stations at which you can do a craft or activity with a manageable number of children (6-8 depending on the age).
- Age of the Children. Obviously, some activities may be more appropriate than others depending on the age of the children and their abilities. This consideration is most important when selecting crafts. Preschool children should be given crafts that are not too intricate for little hands or that use objects that might be choking hazards.
- Length of the Party. For a two-hour party, you might plan one active group game and a couple of craft and game stations. You might also want to allow 30 minutes for food and, if applicable, a costume parade.
- Size of the Party Area. Before selecting activities for the party, consider how much space each one requires relative to how much space is available in the party area.
Once you have considered these points and selected an appropriate mix of activities, it's time to let the students and their parents know about the party. You or the classroom teacher should plan to send a flyer or invitation home with each child at least two weeks in advance, especially if you will need parents to provide:
- Monetary donations to offset the cost of the party
- Donations of food, activity ingredients/supplies, or decorations
- Assistance at the party.
Classroom Halloween Party Decorations and Games
Decorating your classroom for Halloween is easy. There are so many Halloween decorations to choose from. If you're looking to get the parents or kids involved, here are some DIY ideas:
- Use our Bat Template to cut bats from black construction paper. Suspend them throughout the party area using clear nylon thread. Hanging the bats at various heights and in groups will give the illusion that they're flying. Also, consider giving special attention to areas where the bats will sway in the air, such as by windows, doors and air vents.
- Use glow sticks instead of candles in carved pumpkins to create a kid-safe eerie green glow.
- Twist together orange and black or purple, green and orange streamers, and hang them along the walls and doorway(s) in the party area. For a fun touch, hang long strips of streamers in a row across the main entryway to the party area, creating a curtain for your guests to pass through as they come and go.
- Serve treats in plastic trick-or-treat buckets shaped like pumpkins or witches' cauldrons. Consider placing small, plastic spiders in the treat bowls for an extra spooky surprise.
- Purchase synthetic spider webs (available at most grocery stores, specialty stores, and pharmacies around Halloween) to add to table covers, windows, outside bushes, and nearly every nook and cranny of the party area.
- Use a marker to draw ghost faces on white balloons and pumpkin faces on orange balloons.
Classroom Halloween Party Games and Activities
- Ask your student to dress up on the day of the party and have a Halloween costume contest. Award prizes for scariest, silliest, and most creative!
- Fill a glass jar with candy corn and let the students guess how many are inside. The closest guess wins the jar full of candy.
- Have a candy scavenger hunt in the classroom.
- Pass out orange lifesavers and black licorice string. Let each child create an edible Halloween bracelet.
- It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (G)
- Scooby Doo on Zombie Island (G)
- Winnie the Pooh - Boo to You Too (G)
- Monsters, Inc. (G)
- Casper (PG)
- Hocus Pocus (PG)
Shop Halloween Party Supplies!
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Bone Appetit Skeleton
Day of the Dead
Floral Day of the Dead
Trick or Treat
Silly Halloween Monsters
Orange & Black Dots