What You'll Need:
At the Party
- Smooth round or oval rocks (washed and dried) from your yard or the craft store
- Black permanent marker
- Plastic googly eyes
- Acrylic paint in various colors
Give each child a rock that has been cleaned and dried, and provide paint and markers for them to create their ladybug pet. Allow the rock to dry, and glue on googly eyes.
Tip: Start this activity early so the rocks have time to dry. Instruct the children not to use large globs of paint. You can also use a hairdryer to speed up the drying process.
For older children who want a more realistic-looking ladybug, here's how to create a beautiful ladybug pet rock:
- Take a black marker and section off the top fourth of the rock for the head. Then draw a straight line down the center of the wings.
- Select a color and paint the wings inside the black lines.
- Paint the head black.
- Create circles on the wings using black paint.
- Touch up the line between the wings by painting over it with black paint.
- Allow to dry and glue on googly eyes.
Give each child a paper bowl big enough to hold their rocks and give them markers to draw a garden-grass, flowers, butterflies, etc. At the end of the party, have the children put the pet rocks in their bowls to take home.