Games Night Party Ideas
last updated 1/7/2019
Dust off the board games, break out a deck of cards, and host a fun game night party for kids or the entire family! Read on for our suggestions on invitations, decorations, favors, games and more. Shop all our Teen and Preteen Party Supplies Browse this guide: Invitations Decorations Food Party Favors Games & Activities
Planning & InvitationsWhat Do I Need For The Party? In addition to basic party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing, or renting the following items:
- Classic board games like Clue, Monopoly, Trouble, etc.
- Playing cards
- Card tables or extra tables to use for various games
- Children's video games like Super Mario Kart, Dance Dance Revolution Disney Grooves, Wii Music, Wii Sports Resort, Game Party 2, or Family Game Night.
- Cut out invitations in the shapes of spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs using red and black card stock.
- Buy a set of cheap playing cards and glue them to card stock. Write the party details on the back.
- Include monopoly money in your invitation and tell guests they can redeem it at the party for prizes.
- Create an invitation on painted cardboard and cut into puzzle pieces. Put the pieces in the envelope, so the guest can assemble the invitation when they receive it.
- Design the invitation to look like a Scrabble Board and write the party details up and down your board.
Claudia challenges you To a night of cards, Monopoly and Clue There will be lots of food and prizes to be won So bring your favorite game and join in the fun!If you'd rather purchase invitations instead of making them, you can still have a personalized touch with our personalized card party invitations, which will include your child's name and all of the party details. Or you can purchase blank card party invitations and fill in the details yourself.
Game Night Party Decorations
- Display boxes of various games throughout the party area.
- Tie fuzzy dice to the bottom of helium balloons and place in the middle of your table as a centerpiece.
- If you'll be playing cards at the party, consider a red and black theme. Place black and red balloons around the party area and use black and red tablecloths and streamers.
- Create a "Free Parking" sign to look like the space on the game board, and put it in the parking area, or include instructions or an arrow so guests know where to park.
- At the entrance of the party create a "Go" sign to look like the one on the board, and hand guests $200 worth of Monopoly money when they enter. Allow them to use this money in the game later, or let use it to redeem prizes later.
- Section off different areas of the party using your board as your guide. For example,
- Create and hang a "Water Works" sign on the bathroom door.
- Place your favors in a chest and make that your "Community Chest" area.
- "Marvin Gardens" could be the outdoor area. It would also be easy to recreate signs for "Chance" and some of the railroads and properties to display around the game area.
- Keep plenty of snacks on hand for your hungry gamers and place bowls of pretzels, popcorn, nuts, and chips, in the different gaming areas.
- Make dinner easy by ordering several different kinds of pizzas.
- Create a Candy Land cake by purchasing or making a sheet cake and covering it with white icing. Use food coloring to create icing in red, orange, yellow, blue, green, purple, and pipe the rainbow path, alternating the colors. Top with assorted candies like M&Ms, gumdrops, licorice, Hershey's Kisses and candy canes. You can use any board game as inspiration for a cake!
Party Favor IdeasGame Night Party Favors Give your guests fun party favors like:
- Playing cards or card games like Uno.
- Travel versions of games like Sorry, Connect Three and Battleship.
- Activity game books like word finds, crossword puzzles Mad Libs, etc.
Party Planning ToolboxUse the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Themed Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Game Night Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.