Elmo Birthday Party Ideas
Does your toddler love watching "Elmo's World" on Sesame Street? Does he or she spend hours interacting with a Tickle Me Elmo or Elmo Live! Doll? Then throw him or her a party with our Elmo Party Ideas, complete with suggestions for make-your-own invitations and party food!
Elmo Party Planning & Invitations
In addition to basic Elmo party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Elmo party:
- An Elmo Movie, such as "The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland", "Elmo & Friends - Tales of Adventure", or "Sesame Street - Elmo Loves You!"
- A chalkboard and chalk
- "Sesame Street - The Best of Elmo" CD
- Picture books
- Blocks, stuffed animals, and other toddler-friendly toys
If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few ideas to consider for your Elmo birthday party:
- If you would rather not make your own invitations, but would still like a personalized touch, consider our Sesame Street Invitations or Fuzzy Friend Personalized Invitations, which include all the party details for you!
- Cut a circle out of red construction paper to serve as Elmo's head. Use colored construction paper for the details - black for a mouth, orange for a nose, and white for eyes. Write your party details in silver marker on the back.
- Have Elmo's pet fish Dorothy give your guests the party details! Cut the shape of a fish bowl out of blue construction paper. Draw pebbles and plants on the bottom. Paste a goldfish cutout in the middle, with a bubble coming out of her mouth that includes all the party details.
- Punch a hole in the corner of a card-style invitation and attach it to an Elmo zipper pull as a special gift to get your guests excited.
- Cut three circles out of colored construction paper. Glue them together so they overlap a bit. Punch a hole in the bottom of each circle and attach a small strand of ribbon. The finished product will resemble balloons. Decorate the two outer balloons with Elmo stickers and include the party details on the middle balloon.
Elmo Party Decorating & Food
Make your little guests giggle with glee by using decorations that fit your theme! Here are a few Elmo party ideas:
- Use primary colors (blue, red, yellow) for your traditional party
decorations such as streamers and balloons. Tie three to five balloons
together to place around the party area.
- Add Mylar balloons to some of your balloon groups.
- Create a large "Sesame Street" sign out of green butcher paper. Stencil on the letters and hang it on one wall of your party area.
- Hang a banner above the entrance to the party area that reads "Yippee!! Hooray!! You Came to [birthday child]'s Birthday!" Take a look at our banners and let us do the work for you!
- Cut large letters and numbers out of brightly-colored construction paper to hang from the ceiling.
- Fill a fish bowl with water, paste a label to the front that says "Dorothy," and add a plastic goldfish.
- Play the "Sesame Street - The Best of Elmo" CD as background music.
- Place a group of stuffed animals on a large blanket where the children can sit during playtime.
- Set a bubble machine in one corner of the room.
It can be fun for the host and the guests to include theme-specific treats during the party. For an Elmo birthday party, consider the following ideas:
- Use a cookie cutter in the shape of the age your child is turning to cut peanut butter sandwiches, cheese slices, and deli meat slices.
- Make homemade pretzels in the shape of an E, L, M, and O. Sprinkle them with parmesan cheese, or cinnamon and sugar.
- For very young guests, set out a selection of teething biscuits and dry cereal in bright-colored bowls.
- Serve goldfish crackers with a little tent card that reads "Dorothy Snacks!"
- Individual cupcakes, instead of a full cake, can be fun and more manageable for a toddler party. Frost the cupcakes in red frosting, and add mini marshmallow eyes, an orange gumdrop nose and a black licorice mouth. Place chocolate chips on top of the mini marshmallows to look like eyeballs.
Elmo Party Favors
Put a smile on your guests' faces by sending them home with party favors that fit your Sesame Street theme. To find a large variety of Elmo party favors, visit our Elmo party page and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Sesame Street sticker and activity books
- Hi bounce balls
- Swirl lollipops
- Bath time toys
- Shaped silly rubber bands