Dragon Party Ideas
If your brave little knight loves to train or slay dragons, having a dragon birthday party will make his spirits soar! Read on for suggestions on dragon party invitations, decorations, food, games, and more!
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For The Party?
- Dragon movies like Pete's Dragon (G), Mulan (G), The Neverending Story (PG), Shrek (PG), How to Train Your Dragon (PG), Eragon (PG), The Quest for Camelot (G), or Puff the Magic Dragon (G).
- Knight costumes or dragon masks
- Dragon figurines
- Inflatable swords and shields
- An inflatable bouncy castle
Dragon Birthday Invitations
- Make the invitations look like old parchment by staining them with tea. To do so, make a cup of plain tea. Then, using a paintbrush spread the tea on the paper until the desired effect is obtained.
- Address invitations in calligraphy, either by hand or using a computer font (i.e., Monotype Corsiva).
- Using a lighter, carefully burn the edges of the invitations to look like a dragon breathed fire on the paper! Doing this over a sink is best.
- Design directions to the party location to look like a treasure map with an "X" marking the spot.
I'll tell you a tale of a boy who could fly, It wasn't by plane, and it wasn't a lie. It wasn't by train, and it wasn't by wagon, The boy flew around on the back of a dragon! Come take flight with Pete on March 4th at 2pm!
Decorating & Food Ideas
Dragon Party Decorations Depending on what type of dragon your child likes, you can decorate your party accordingly. For example, a party based around the Chinese dragon would have black and red decor and a How to Train Your Dragon party would have blue and green decor. For a general dragon birthday party, anything colorful goes. Here are some decorating tips for various dragon themes.
- Hang paper lanterns or paper dragons for a Chinese dragon theme.
- Create fire flames out of construction paper to put on the walls.
- If your party is outside, have each activity in a different tent or "cave."
- Hang a Dragon Pinata (right) and have your child wear a Knight mask when they hit it!
- Make a throne for the birthday child by draping dark red or gold fabric over a chair.
- Create dragon footprints out of construction paper to place on the floor from the door to the party area.
Dragon Party Food
- Crispy Dragon Wings (fried chicken wings!)
- Dragon Scale Pizza (pepperoni pizza!)
- Dragon Tales (hot dogs)
- Dragon Breath Punch: Freeze orange and red-colored ice cubes (a combination of Kool-Aid and cranberry juice works well) before the party. At the party, serve a lemon-lime soda or ginger ale, and let each child drop in the "frozen dragon's breath" ice cube that will turn their drink into a magical treat!
- For the cake, ask your local supermarket to design a Dragon cake... or try making your own cake, using red velvet for the cake batter!
- Fire roasted marshmallows Prepare over a campfire on kabob sticks.
- Dragon Scales Serve Doritos or pita chips in a bowl and label them "Dragon Scales."
Party Favor Ideas
Dragon Party Favors
- Temporary tattoos
- Dragon figures
- How to Train Your Dragon Helmets
- Inflatable swords and shields
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers!