Cowboy Party Ideas
Plan a Wild West adventure your little cowpoke will never forget with our Cowboy Party Ideas! Read on for general party planning tips as well as great decorating, food, game, and activity ideas.
Cowboy Party Planning & Invitations
In addition to basic party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may also consider purchasing or renting the following items:
- Bales of hay
- Cowboy hats
- Sheriff badges
- Red bandanas
- Prizes for the party games
Creative invitations build excitement and can increase attendance at your child's Cowboy Party. If you have time to make your own, we've provided a few ideas to get you started:
- Draw a "Wanted!" poster on the front of a sheet of construction paper, folded in half. Include a photo of the birthday child in the center of the poster. Print "You're Wanted at a Party!" on the front, and add the party details to the inside.
- Write the party details on a red bandana in silver or black ink. Fold the bandana and send it in an envelope.
- Buy some craft rope that is about 1/4" thick. Glue it, in the shape of a lasso, to construction paper. Write the party details in the center of the lasso ring. Mail your invitations in a padded envelope.
Cowboy Party Decorating & Food Ideas
- Decorate the party space with toys you already own, such as stuffed horses, snakes, cowboy boots, and toy trains.
- Cover tables with red and white checkered tablecloths.
- Make table decorations by tying blue and red balloons to miniature bales of hay from the craft store.
- Use a toy train set as a table decoration, placing the cake inside the center of the track.
- Make signs that say Welcome Buckaroos, (Birthday Child Name)'s Saloon, Outhouse, Park Your Horse Here, or No Fightin', No Bandits, and No Varmints! Hang the signs throughout the party space.
- Create a wanted poster for each child and give them a fun alias,
such as Dastardly David, or One-Eyed William. Under the words "Wanted
For", add silly "crimes" such as robbing a bank, stealing candy,
snoring, not cleaning their room, etc. Hang the posters around the party
- Hand each child a cowboy hat and a sheriff badge as they arrive. You can also tie a red bandana loosely around their neck.
- Make a jail out of a refrigerator box by painting a brick design on the outside and cutting some bars where the children can look out. Add a few of the Wanted posters, and this will be a good location for taking pictures during the party!
- If you're having the party outdoors, pick up a few bales of hay to use as seating (hay can be found at your local farm or nursery).
It's always fun for the host and the guests to serve food that correlates with the party theme. Here are some ideas for Cowboy Party food:
- Make a sign from poster board that says "Grub" and hang it from the food table.
- Serve traditional cowboy fare, such as Sloppy Joes, chili, grilled hamburgers, chicken drumsticks, and hotdogs. For sides, include baked beans, cole slaw, tortilla chips, and roasted corn on the cob.
- Give the food fun descriptions like Best Rootin' Tootin' Hot Dogs, Best Rib Stickin' Chicken, Crunchiest Cole Slaw, Howlin' Hot Salsa, and Most Sweet Tooth Satisfyin' Dessert.
- Form store-bought biscuit dough into the shape of a horseshoe, and bake as directed.
- Serve milk, juice, and root beer in bottles or canteens.
- Mix a punch out of ginger ale and lime Kool-Aid and call it "Cactus Juice".
- Make or purchase star-shaped cookies and write the word "Sheriff" on top in frosting.
- Serve chips, cookies or candy in a cowboy hat lined with a bandana.
- Fill empty glass jars with candy such as root beer barrels, candy necklaces, pixie sticks, and old fashioned taffy.
- Make S'mores, or supervise your guests as they make their own over a fire or grill.
Cowboy Party Favor
Thank your guests for coming to your rodeo with awesome party favors! To find a large variety of cowboy themed party favors, visit our store and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Cowboy and cowgirl hats
- Cowboy vests
- Cowboy stickers and temporary tattoos
- Wacky whirlers
- Cowboy pencils and notepads
- Reusable tote bags
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops