Circus Party Ideas
Come one, come all and step right up for a tent full of circus inspired ideas for your next celebration. We’ve got plenty of BIG TOP plans to create a spectacularly memorable day.
If your little one is a fan of circuses and carnivals then throw your child an entertaining birthday bash fit for the big tent. We offer suggestions for everything from circus invitations to carnival party games. So read on and let the show begin!
Admission Tickets - Invitations
Invite guests to join the festivities with a ticket themed invitation. Design your own or use ours found here. For a clever envelope alternative, insert tickets into Classic Red Striped Paper Treat Bags. Seal opening with a bit of glue and use white address labels for readability.
Ticket Booth Entrance
Everyone will be sure to know just where the party starts with this cheerful stand-up trio greeting them. This Carnival Standup Combo Kit makes it easy to set up a grand entrance. We added our own ticket themed welcome plaque to the top of the directional sign for even more impact (you can get the 11x17 inch sign here).
Under the Big Top
- Red and white stripes will of course be the main decorating color combo, but by including other bright colors such as blue, green, yellow and pink, the chance of overload will diminish. Pops of white serving pieces will also help to break-up the explosion of color and give the eye places to rest.
- Use Red & White Stripe Tablecovers and PVC pipe to construct this impressive big top table tent.
- Balloons and bunting are a must. Alternate paper pennant banner colors when assembling for more diversity.
- Ticket Rolls not only add height and interest to party displays, but in addition, they help to carry the ticket-invite theme throughout.
- Continuing along those thematic lines, back Circus Sign Cutouts with white poster board cut into over-sized ticket shapes then use signs to identify the different party stations.
- Don’t be afraid to mix patterns and scale. Polka dots and two sizes of stripes keep the décor from being stagnant.
- Balloon topiaries add height and texture. There are plenty of how-to tutorials on the web.
- For whimsy sake, add Clown Noses to Striped Paper Straws before inserting into Plastic Milk Jars. Any beverage served this way will be hit.
- Layer Circus Time cake plates on top of Yellow Dots luncheon plates for impact. Add rolled Circus Time luncheon napkins and colorful utensils to Metal Buckets for an easy presentation option.
The Concession Stand
Going to the circus is not only about the amazing acts but almost as importantly, the FOOD! Offer guests a plethora of traditional circus goodies coupled with a few more “healthier” options.
- Colorful Lollipops, filled Popcorn Boxes, marshmallow & paper straw “dumbbells”, Crackerjacks, red licorice and Jellybeans are especially enticing.
- Set corn dogs and veggie filled Wine Goblets center stage on a re-purposed Circus Tent Lollipop Stand to encourage guests to balance all the sweets.
- Peanuts, both the shelled and orange-marshmallow-Circus varieties, are a must have inclusion as well as cotton candy and gumballs.
- Animal cracker cookies? Of course! Especially in their own iconic handled boxes.
The Side Show
Engaging entertainment is paramount to a successful circus so keep guests of all ages amused with these fun activities
- Outfit the troupe with adorable thematic costumes and accessories such as Clown Noses, Rainbow Wigs, Ringmaster Top Hat, Clown Ties, squirting flowers, horns and, for the little guests, a selection of full Clowning Around Town Costume sets.
- Provide Face Painting Supplies (and a bucket of wipes for easy clean-up) to complete the character transformations.
- Gather everyone for a round or two of carnival-themed games. Game kits such as bean bag toss, Can Toss and Inflatable Clown Ball Toss are quick and easy to set up. (Get all our ticket signs here.)
- Award tickets to players and have them “trade” their tickets for trinkets.
- Everyone loves a photo booth ... especially when they can pose behind this larger than life Strong Man Cutout.
- Use a Circus Photo Prop Kit to make booth set-up simple.
- Troupe members can become instant animal trainers with these cute Animal Inflatables.
- Transform Red & White Stripe Lanterns and a strip of foam core into a clever strong man prop. Simply assemble the lanterns and use packing tape to secure the metal frames to the foam core. Add black sticker numbers for just the right finishing detail.
Guests can carry the big top fun home in these embellished Yellow Gingham Favor Boxes filled with circus themed goodies. Pack boxes full of items such as Clown Nose Glasses, Multi-colored Striped Clown Socks, Squirting Flowers, Carnival Stickers and Temporary Tattoos.Hope you had fun! Keep clowning around!!