Candyland Party Ideas
last updated 1/7/2019
If your child is obsessed with the idea of a rainbow world where rivers are chocolate and gumdrops grow on trees then you should throw them a Candyland themed birthday party! When you choose such a bright and delicious theme, there is a lot of room for creativity. Below you'll find inspiration for invitations, decorations, food, party favors, and games that will help you plan a super sweet celebration!
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
For a thorough list of everything you'll need to plan a great party, check out our suggested party supply list.
Candyland Party Invitations
- Attach a card-style invitation to a pack of candy with a length of curling ribbon by punching a hole in one corner of the invite.
- Include a themed sticker and some confetti with each Candyland party invitation and seal the envelope with a personalized party sticker!
- If you are hand-delivering the invitations you can create and print custom candy bar wrappers with the party info and wrap them around a chocolate bar. For reference, an average size chocolate bar wrapper is 5.25 x 5.5-inches.
- If you're planning to mail your invitations, wrap the party information around candy that won't melt in the mail like Twizzlers, Laffy Taffy or even a box of jelly beans.
- Include a color card from the Candyland board game with the invite and ask the guest to dress in those colors.
- Write the party information on the back of a clean candy bar wrapper.
- Have fun when you're writing the party details and use wording like: Come take a walk on Rainbow Trail, To celebrate with great detail. Megan's birthday is on the board, It's a Candyland party you can't ignore!
Decorating & Food Ideas
Candyland Party Decorations
- Set up tables in stations for games or food. Label them Peanut Brittle House, Lollipop Woods, Gingerbread Plum Trees, Peppermint Forest, and Gumdrop Mountains.
- Personalize each place setting with candy bars or lollipops.
- Decorate the floor of the party area to look like the Candyland board game.
- Separate M&Ms by color and arrange them in bowls to form a rainbow.
- Have the adults at the party dress like Candyland characters to match the theme.
Candyland Party Food
- Cut sandwiches into gingerbread man shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Arrange fruit and veggies to look like a rainbow.
- Decorate cupcakes with different types of candy or provide the sweets to guests so they can decorate their own.
- Serve candy apples, candy necklaces, rainbow goldfish crackers, cotton candy, or rainbow cake.
- Use licorice twists as drinking straws! Have guests bite the ends of the candy and the straws are ready to go!
- For dessert, set up a Queen Frostine ice cream sundae bar. Provide vanilla and chocolate ice cream, whipped cream, cherries, nuts, fruit and candy toppings.
For the cake, you can ask your local grocery store if they have a Candyland themed cake or decorate your own using the board game as your guide. Use peppermint sticks, M&Ms, gum drops, licorice, and other candy to inspire you!
Party Favor Ideas
Candyland Party Favors
- Candy necklaces and rings
- Candy crafts
- Markers or crayons with coloring books
- Silly straws
- Cookie cutters
- Customized aprons
- A toothbrush and mini toothpaste (since they ate a lot of candy at the party)
Candyland Party Games
Arrange tables into stations that coordinate with the five Candyland areas (Peanut Brittle House, Lollipop Woods, Gingerbread Plum Trees, Peppermint Forest and Gumdrop Mountains). Label each station as such. Use different colored table covers for each station to set them apart. During the party, you will need an adult for each station to give the children instructions. Kids can rotate stations every 20 minutes to fill 1 hour and 40 minutes of time. Below are some game ideas for each station, a free coloring page, and more candy craft ideas!
More Birthday Theme Ideas
Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
The Candyland name and all related characters and elements are the property of Hasbro Inc. This guide is not affiliated with or endorsed by Hasbro Inc.