This recipe makes 2 dozen yummy red velvet cupcakes.
Buttercream Icing Ingredients
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- 2 ounces of red food coloring
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of table salt
- 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cups of flour
- 2 1/2 cups of sugar
- 5 sticks of unsalted butter, softened (yields 2 1/2 cups of butter)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Red sprinkles
White Icing Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Then, insert paper cupcake wrappers in two 12-cup muffin pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl with a hand mixer, blend the eggs and sugar at a medium speed for about 5 minutes.
- Keep the mixer on, and slowly pour the in the oil until blended. You should pour the oil in a thin stream so that it emulsifies with the sugar and eggs.
- Add the red food coloring and vanilla.
- Mix half of the dry ingredients to the contents of the wet ingredients.
- Mix in the buttermilk and white vinegar.
- Now mix in the other half of the dry ingredients.
- Blend until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cupcake wrappers to the top with the cupcake batter.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes then frost with icing (icing instructions are below).
- In a saucepan, whisk together the milk and flour. This should be done over a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Be sure to whisk the mixture often. It will be thick and smooth when ready.
- Boil the mixture for 1 minute while constantly whisking.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
- Now cream the sugar and butter with a mixer on high speed for about 5 minutes. When the mixture is light and fluffy, it's ready.
- Add the chilled milk mixture and the vanilla to the mix while beating for about 5 minutes. The frosting will look like whipped cream when ready.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag that has a large straight tip. Then pipe spirals on top of each cupcake.
- Top with red sprinkles.