You will need:
At the party:
- Empty cans (one for each child)
- Colored paper such as construction paper or gift wrap
- Double sided tape or glue
- Stickers, markers, foam shapes, ribbon, beads, etc.
- Pencils (one per guest-optional)
- Dry beans (optional)
Let each child cut paper to wrap around an empty can. Use glue or double sided tape to hold the paper in place. Then let each child decorate their can with stickers, ribbon, beads, markers, buttons or foam shapes. Pour about a quarter cup of dry beans into the bottom of each can so it won't tip over when it's full of pens and pencils. Then drop a new pencil into each can as the children finish their projects.
Sometimes empty tin cans have sharp edges where the lid was removed. If any of your cans do have a sharp edge, cover it by folding black electrical tape over the top rim of the can.