Baby Shower Planning Timeline
6 to 8 Weeks Before the Shower
3 to 4 Weeks Before the Shower
- Sit down with your friend and decide on the type of shower she wants to have.
- Choose a date, time and location for the party.
- Develop a guest list with addresses and phone numbers.
- Order or go out and purchase shower supplies and invitations.
Note: Include an extra invitation for the baby book.
- If possible, assign some of the tasks to other friends.
- Make a list of gifts that your friend would like, or help her register at a few stores, such as Babies 'R' Us.
1 Week Ahead
- Mail invitations, then place a list of invitees by the phone to record responses.
- Consider keeping a list of requested gifts or places the mother-to-be is registered by the phone, too, in case some of the guests ask for ideas when they call to RSVP.
- If playing games, decide which ones and what supplies you will need.
- If serving a meal, decide on the menu.
- Select shower favors. A few ideas include small potted plants, decorative soaps, or chocolates.
- Order a cake (unless you plan to bake one).
- If children will be attending the shower, consider hiring a babysitter.
2 to 3 Days Ahead
- Decide on the agenda for the party. Usually showers move from games or lunch to gifts and, finally, cake.
- Try any games or activities with which you are unfamiliar.
- Prepare the favors.
- Call any guests who have not responded.
The Day Before the Shower
- Shop for food and drinks.
- Prepare any food that can be made ahead.
- Charge video camera and/or put fresh batteries in your regular or digital camera. Make sure you have enough video tape/film on hand.
4 to 5 Hours Ahead
- Clean the party area.
- Bake or pick up the cake, and purchase flowers.
- Set out a punch bowl and other serving dishes.
- Go through the order of events to ensure that you have everything you need.
1 Hour Ahead
- Decorate and set the table.
- Prepare the food.
- Get balloons filled/pick up pre-filled latex or Mylar balloons appropriate for the occasion.
- Place any game items in the shower area.
- Locate paper and a pencil for recording gifts (for thank-you notes).
- Set out camera(s).
At the Shower
- Put your pet(s) in an area away from guests.
- Set out food and drinks.
- If you're having the party at home, tie some balloons to the mailbox or front porch to mark the location of the shower.
- Assign the jobs of recording gifts and taking pictures/videotaping to a couple of your guests.
- Have a great time!