Here is a sweet craft idea that doubles as a snack or party favor! Have an extra adult on hand to help little fingers pull the rubber band over the gum. These are popular with kids of all ages, and those 7 and up will need little or no assistance.
What You'll Need:
To assemble the candy airplane:
- A thin rubber band
- One roll of Smarties candy, or a thin Tootsie Roll, or other similar shaped candy
- Two white Life Saver candies, such as peppermint
- Two sticks of gum, any flavor
- Markers or small stickers
- Push the rubber band through the holes of two Life Saver candies.
- Lay the two sticks of gum together on top of the Life Savers. Pull the rubber band ends up and over each side of the two sticks of gum. The gum wings should now be laying flat on top of the wheels.
- Pull the gum wings up and slightly away from the Life Saver wheels, to create an opening underneath for the roll of Smarties. Push the roll of Smarties under the wings, so that it lies on top of the rubber band.
- If desired, decorate the wings with markers, or small stickers.
For testing purposes only, we used a large 17 piece pack of Juicy Fruit gum. The individual sticks of foil wrapped gum were in plain white paper labels. The white paper made it easy to decorate the wings.
Did You Like This Candy Craft?
- Make up a batch of these candy airplanes with your child to give as Valentine treats to classmates.
- Hang them as ornaments on a Christmas tree.
- Make them with your child's Scout troop or as a classroom activity.
your comments or questions. We'd love to hear from you!