Peace out and take a trip back to the '60s to throw a far out hippie party. We have plenty of free ideas on how to throw a '60s party that will have your guests saying, "groovy baby!" Read on for tons of great ideas for games, favors, invitations, food, and more. Shop all our Hippie Party Supplies Browse this guide: Hippie Party Invitations Hippie Party Decorations Hippie Party Food Hippie Party Favors Hippie Party Games & Activities
Planning & InvitationsWhat Do I Need For the Party? In addition to basic 60s or hippie party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your 60s party:
- 60s music
- Tie dye shirts
- Cuts out like daisies, peace symbols and hearts
- Hippie clothes like bell bottoms, bandanas, and long skirts
- Love beads or a beaded curtain
- A pinata
- If you're looking to purchase invitations, you can still have a personalized touch with our personalized '60s party invitations, which will include your child's name and all of the party details. Or you can purchase blank hippie party invitations and fill in the details yourself.
- Create a card-style invitation out of card stock and draw a peace sign on the front. Attach one of our personalized hippie party supplies such as a bag tag or bookmark to the invitation with matching curling ribbon.
- Print your invitation on tie dye card stock or make your own tie dye paper.
- Get die cuts of daisies made out of colorful card stock or create smiley face invitations with yellow, circle-shaped card stock. Decorate your homemade cards with stickers and hippie stampers.
- Include a hippie temporary tattoo in each envelope and seal your hippie party invitations with a hippie sticker.
- Get creative when you're writing the party details and use phrases like: "Peace and love," "Groovy, baby," "Far out," "Outta sight," and "Can you dig it?"
- Invite guests to come to the party dressed in bell bottoms, wigs, fringe vests, beads, and other hippie threads. Host a costume contest and make sure to tell them there will be a prize for the best costume!
- Use some fun rhymes to add a groovy twist on your hippie party invitations:
The time has come, there's no doubt,Willie's having a party that's totally far out.We'll listen to cool music and dress up like hippies, So get to the tie dye party and make it zippy!
60s Party Decorations
- Hang a sign that says "Welcome to Woodstock" or a hippie birthday banner at the entrance of the party area.
- Draw the side of a VW van or Beetle on large piece of cardboard. Cut it out, paint it, and hang it on the wall. Have guests sign and decorate it, then give it to the birthday child.
- Cut peace signs in various sizes out of cardboard or poster board. Color or decorate with flowers and psychedelic designs. Or create a peace sign collage by cutting out pictures and pasting them inside the peace sign. Hang the peace signs on your walls or string from the ceiling.
- No hippie party would be complete without groovy music from artists like The Beatles (the later years), Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, The Mamas and the Papas, and The Who. Hang posters of some of these artists or other celebrities of the time.
- Cut daisies, smiley faces and yin-yang symbols out of poster board or construction paper and hang them on the walls.
- Place a lava lamp in the party area to set the mood.
- Replace standard light bulbs with various bulb colors like red, blue, or green, to create a psychedelic effect.
- String beads in front of doorways. You can also hang crepe paper streamers vertically from doorways for guests to walk through.
- Play television shows from the late '60s and early '70s, like Laugh-In, Get Smart, and Dragnet, on mute in the background.
- Make a banner that says, "Welcome to [child's name] groovy birthday party," and hang it near the party entrance.
- Veggie burgers
- Fruits and veggies
- Chips and guacamole
- Zucchini bread
- Yogurt parfaits with fresh berries and granola
- Mix Tang with 7-Up to create Tang punch
- Flower and peace sign cookies made with shape cookie cutters
- Tie dye rainbow marble cake: Add food coloring to white of yellow cake mix to create a far out tie dye cake with our marble cake recipe. Try using a star cake pan to give your cake a fun shape.
- Flower Power Cake: Bake a rainbow marble cake in a flower cake pan and frost it to look like a daisy.
- Smiley face cake: frost a round cake yellow and use black decorator gel to draw on the mouth and eyes. Black shoestring licorice also works well for the mouth. Or you can create individual smiley face cupcakes instead of a cake.
- Peace sign cake: Frost a round cake in the color of your choosing and arrange candies on top to create a peace signs.You can also use hippie party cake toppers.
Party Favor Ideas'60s Party Favors Thank your guests with groovy party favors! To find a large variety of 60s party favors, visit our Hippie Chick party page or Tie Dye Hippie party page and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Hippie buttons
- Hippie pencils and notepads
- Peace sign bracelets
- Groovy temporary tattoos and stickers
- Hippie lunch boxes and denim bags
- Peace sign straws
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Party Planning ToolboxUse the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Hippie Chick Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Hippie Chick Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.