60s Party Ideas
Peace out and take a trip back to the '60s to throw a far out hippie party. We have plenty of free ideas on how to throw a '60s party that will have your guests saying, "groovy baby!" Read on for tons of great ideas for games, favors, invitations, food, and more.
60's Party Planning & Invitations
In addition to basic 60s or hippie party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing the following items for your 60s party:
- 60s music
- Tie dye shirts
- Cuts out like daisies, peace symbols and hearts
- Hippie clothes like bell bottoms, bandanas, and long skirts
- Love beads or a beaded curtain
- If you're looking to purchase invitations, you can still have a
personalized touch with our personalized '60s party invitations, which
will include your child's name and all of the party details.
- Create a card-style invitation out of card stock and draw a peace sign on the front. Attach one of our personalized hippie party supplies such as a bag tag or bookmark to the invitation with matching curling ribbon.
- Print your invitation on tie dye card stock or make your own tie dye paper.
- Include a hippie temporary tattoo in each envelope and seal your hippie party invitations with a hippie sticker.
- Get creative when you're writing the party details and use phrases like: "Peace and love," "Groovy, baby," "Far out," "Outta sight," and "Can you dig it?"
- Invite guests to come to the party dressed in bell bottoms, wigs,
fringe vests, beads, and other hippie threads.
60's Party Decorations & Food
- Hang a sign that says "Welcome to Woodstock" or a hippie birthday banner at the entrance of the party area.
- Draw the side of a VW van or Beetle on large piece of cardboard. Cut it out, paint it, and hang it on the wall. Have guests sign and decorate it, then give it to the birthday child.
- Cut peace signs in various sizes out of cardboard or poster board.
Color or decorate with flowers and psychedelic designs.
- No hippie party would be complete without groovy music from artists
like The Beatles, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The
Doors, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, and The Who. Hang posters of some of these artists,too!
- Cut daisies, smiley faces and yin-yang symbols out of poster board or construction paper and hang them on the walls.
- Place a lava lamp in the party area to set the mood.
- Replace standard light bulbs with various bulb colors like red, blue, or green, to create a psychedelic effect.
- String beads in front of doorways. You can also hang crepe paper streamers vertically from doorways for guests to walk through.
Choose from these suggestions to create your hippie party food menu:
- Veggie burgers
- Fruits and veggies
- Chips and guacamole
- Zucchini bread
- Yogurt parfaits with fresh berries and granola
- Flower and peace sign cookies made with shape cookie cutters
- Tie dye rainbow marble cake: Add food coloring to white of yellow cake mix to create a far out tie dye cake with our marble cake recipe. Try using a star cake pan to give your cake a fun shape.
- Flower Power Cake: Bake a rainbow marble cake in a flower cake pan and frost it to look like a daisy.
60's Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with groovy party favors! To find a large variety of 60s party favors, visit our Hippie Chick party page or Tie Dye Hippie party page and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Hippie buttons
- Hippie pencils and notepads
- Peace sign bracelets
- Groovy temporary tattoos and stickers
- Hippie lunch boxes and denim bags
- Peace sign straws
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops