Wizard of Oz Party Ideas
Somewhere over the rainbow is a magical birthday party for your child! If your child loves The Wizard of Oz, read on to discover wonderful ways to whisk them down the Yellow Brick Road at their next birthday party!
Shop our Wizard of Oz Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Wizard of Oz Invitations
Wizard of Oz Decorations
Wizard of Oz Food
Wizard of Oz Party Favors
Wizard of Oz Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Wizard of Oz party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Wizard of Oz party:
Wizard of Oz Party Invitation Ideas
- The Wizard of Oz storybooks, music from Wicked: The Musical and movies including Return to Oz, The Wiz and The Wizard of Oz
- Costumes for Dorothy, Scarecrow, Lion, Tin Man, Glinda the Good Witch and the Wicked Witch of the West
- Props such as red sequined slippers, a picnic basket, a broom, a wizard hat and a stuffed terrier dog
- Silk poppy flowers
Invite your guests over to Oz by making your own invitations or let us help you down the Yellow Brick Road with personalized or fill-in-the-blank selections.
- Have your child help create the invites! Have them color a rainbow on paper or make one out of colored sheets of construction paper. Write "We're celebrating over the rainbow" on the outside of the card. Include the party details inside with cut out images or illustrations from The Wizard of Oz.
- Cut the shape of a witch's hat out of black construction paper. With a metallic marker write "I'll get you my pretties!" on the front of the hat. Include the party details on the back.
- Write a fun poem on your card such as:
You don't need a twister to ride to this party,
You just need the courage, and the brains of a smarty!
Join Dorothy, Alexis and Toto too,
The Yellow Brick Road is waiting for you!
- If you don't have time to make your own invites, use our personalized Wizard of Oz invitations
Decorating & Food Ideas
Wizard of Oz Party Decoration Ideas
Wizard of Oz Party Food Ideas
- Use a long, plastic yellow sheet to serve as the yellow brick road. Have the sheet spread out, leading to the entrance of the party. From a gardening center, purchase bricks and paint them yellow. Use the yellow bricks to hold the plastic sheet in place by lining them up on each side vertically.
- For a centerpiece, drape a picnic basket with blue and white gingham and place a stuffed terrier inside.
- Make Tin Man hats by using tin funnels found at hardware stores.
- Set vases of large sunflowers on the table or throughout the room.
- Place props around the room such as a scarecrow, a broom, "ruby" slippers (white canvas shoes decorated with red sequins), wands, flying monkeys (stuffed monkeys with wings) and swirl pops.
Serve a variety of food in small portions for young children. Often times, children are too excited to eat larger meals so this will prevent wasting food. Here are our Wizard of Oz party food ideas straight from the Emerald City!
Wizard of Oz Cake Idea
- Serve Tin Man punch! Mix together your favorite juice and pour into paper cups. Place a plastic funnel with a 3-inch diameter on top of each paper cup so that it looks like a hat. Insert a silly straw into the funnel's small opening. Be sure the funnels fit snuggly on top of the cups. What a cute way to enjoy a beverage!
- Make yellow brick road sandwiches by slicing sandwiches in half to make rectangles. Brush the bread with yellow food coloring or spread mustard on top of each sandwich. Arrange the sandwiches to look like bricks and serve!
- Make Emerald City Cookies.
- Create your own rainbow Jell-O mold by chilling different colored layers separately and then stacking them one by one in a glass pan.
Bake and decorate a Wizard of Oz cake yourself using the directions and template below. You will need a baked rectangular cake, M&M candies, white frosting, yellow, green and blue food coloring and one Emerald City cookie
- In a rectangular pan, bake your favorite cake batter. We suggest our rainbow cake batter recipe.
- Divide the frosting into three bowls. Using 10 drops of food coloring for each bowl, die one bowl of frosting blue (for the sky), one green (for the grass) and one yellow (for the road). The amount of frosting you need depends on the size of your cake.
- Using the picture above as your guide, frost the cake to create a sky, road and grass.
- Arrange red, yellow, green and blue M&M candies in the shape of a rainbow across the bottom half of the cake.
- Place an Emerald City Sugar Cookie at the top of the road on the horizon.
- Finally, pipe a happy birthday message in the sky.
- If you'd like, you can add Wizard of Oz figurines to the cake.
Party Favor Ideas
Wizard of Oz Party Favor Ideas
Send your guests back home to Kansas with some of our Wizard of Oz party favors. Here are some suggestions including personalized items and favor sets.
- Swirl pops
- Small stuffed monkeys
- Magic wands
- A copy of our Oz Diploma, rolled and tied with a red ribbon
- Emerald City Cookies, wrapped in cellophane
- Personalized Wizard of Oz stickers, zipper pulls or bookmarks
- Complete Wizard of Oz favor sets
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Wizard of Oz Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Wizard of Oz Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Use this character guide as a reference for costumes and party games!
Make yummy sugar cookies in the shape of the Emerald City!
Construct a pair of green spectacles that will protect your guests from the brightness and glory of the Emerald City.
Toto will fly back and forth during this fast paced game of catch.
Crawl or walk through the farmhouse without being caught inside when the music stops!
Print out this diploma to hand out to your party guests!
Join the Witches of the East and West in this dress up relay.
Guests will love coloring our flying monkey coloring page.