Wrangle up your cowboys and girls for a rootin’ tootin’ wild west event based on our Western party guide! Our cowboy party ideas guide includes tips for western invitations, ranch decorations, games, rodeo inspired food and favor ideas. Follow our farm party ideas, tips and tricks for a great birthday or themed family barbeque!
Browse this guide:
What Do I Need For a Western Party?
In addition to basic Western party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Western party:
- Western toys, cowboys and horses props
- A DVD of farm tools and construction equipment
- Bales of hay or a barn playhouse
- Farm or petting zoo animals
- Gingham tablecloths and picnic baskets
Western Party Invitation Ideas
Pressed for time but still want a personalized touch? Try our personalized Western invitations, which can be printed to include your child’s name and all of the party details!
For a unique touch, you can make your own Western invitations. This can be a fun activity to get you and your guests excited for your western party! Here are some cowboy invitation ideas for your upcoming family BBQ cookout:
- Attach a card-style invitation to a personalized Western favor such as a bag tag or zipper pull.
- Write your invite details on a bandana in paint marker or fabric pen. This DIY farm invite adds to the fun of your event.
- Take a picture of your family in their best cowboy costumes and use the photos as postcard-style invites. Write all your party info on the back or use computer software to fill out your details.
- Let your guests know if you would like them to dress up in costume for your Western party. You can provide western costumes or hats and bandanas for guests who do not arrive in costume.
- Use creative writing in your Western Invitations. Use the invitation wording below for inspiration:
We are looking to wrangle up some fun
With the whole Eastwoon crew under the sun!
Come have a great time at our 5th annual family reunion.
Western Tableware and Decoration Ideas
The right decorations can make all the difference at your Western party! Base your Western decoration colors off the green and yellow color scheme or use cowboy decorations and farm centerpieces. Find more great Western decoration ideas below:
- Create a barnyard or farm atmosphere buy stacking hay bales and other farm equipment. Use hay bales as chairs or place them under wood planks to create a food table.
- Hang farm banners at the entrance to the party. Make posters or cutouts of cowboys and Western items to hang around the party area.
- Set up picnic tables outside to dine under the sun just like ranchers and farmhands. Instead of napkins, use bandanas to match a cowboy theme.
- Have guests wear cowboy hats instead of wearing traditional party hats. Let guests take home their hats as part of their western favors.
- Group sets of red and cow print balloons around the party area. Include a few cow balloons for a touch of fun in your Western decorations!
Western Party Food Ideas
In addition to pizza, chicken fingers, hamburgers or hotdogs, you can add some Western themed food into the mix. Here are some suggestions.
- Use fun names to label ordinary Western party foods. Serve snacks like “Farm Fries,” “Hay bale Rice Cereal Treats,” and “Cowboy Trail Mix (trail mix or cereal mix).”
- Cowboys live off the land, so serve some farm fresh veggies on a platter! If you’re having an outdoor party, grill up corn or other vegetables to fit with your BBQ. Continue with the farm theme with milk, deviled eggs, watermelon and apples. Homemade apple pie is sure to be another hit at your family event.
- Serve milk or juice in our western theme cups or red Solo cups for fun!
- Fit a cowboy theme for your family get-together with snacks served in a picnic basket. You can take your food to the next level by serving Tex-Mex themed foods like nachos, tacos, and salsa.
- Create a modern Western cake with our tractor cake pan or top a sheet cake with farm candles. A cake can be a great way to celebrate a family birthday or reunion event.
Western Party Favors
Western movies and toys lend themselves well to all sorts of favors. Give your guests a treat with some of our great Western favor ideas:
- Western bandana tote bags
- Silly straws
- Cowboy hats
- Fake gold candy bags
- Cow print lollipops
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts!!
- Western Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Cow Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
Games and Activities
Test your lasso skills to see if you can rope the target.
This age old game is one that should be played at every barbecue and country western party.
This is a fun variation of the Mad Libs. You can do one version of kids and one for adults
You can play this game on a hot summer day at your Western theme party
There is always a wheel barrow on the farm. Pardner up and have a race.
Here is a fun activity to keep the little cowpokes busy.