Turtle Party Ideas
A turtle party is a wonderful theme for toddlers because you can incorporate elements from the ocean as well as cute turtles into your decor. So get ready for a full day of fun that filled with fabulous party ideas. We have party planning tips for turtle-riffic invitations, decorations, food, favors and games galore!
Shop our Turtle Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Turtle party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Turtle party:
Turtle Party Invitation Ideas
- A movie featuring a turtle such as Finding Nemo, Over the Hedge or Franklin the Turtle
- Stuffed animal turtles or figurines
- A bubble machine
- A baby turtle in an aquarium
- An ocean themed pinata
Slow and steady wins the race so if you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few ideas to consider for your turtle party:
- Print your party details in a cute but clean font on 5 x 7 card stock. Embellish the invitation with puffy turtle stickers. You should be able to find cute scrapbook stickers at a craft store. The heading for the invite can read "You're Invited to a Shellabration!" Mail the invites in light green envelopes and seal with a personalized turtle sticker.
- Write your party details on a long strip of paper and then fold it accordion style. Place the strip of paper inside a plastic egg along with some confetti. On the outside of the egg write "A party is about to hatch" in permanent marker. Deliver to your guests in a small box filled with sand and a few seashells.
- Take a picture of your child dressed as a turtle or holding a real turtle to use on the front of your invitation. On the inside include the party details with a cute rhyme such as:
The turtles are hatching and headed towards land,
So come out of your shell for a day in the sand!
Matt's 3rd birthday is approaching so fast,
Please slow down with us to make the day last!
If you would rather not make your own invitations, but would still like a personalized touch, consider our Personalized Ocean themed Invitations, which include all the party details for you!
Decorating & Food Ideas
Turtle Party Decoration Ideas
This theme can be used for boys or girls depending on the color scheme you choose. For instance, you can use pastel green and pink for a girl or pastel blue and green for a boy's party. Once you know your color scheme, here are some other turtle party decorating ideas.
Turtle Party Food Ideas
- Create a large balloon turtle on the wall of the party with lime green balloons. To do this, blow up four balloons all the way and six balloons half way. On one of the smaller balloons draw a smiley face. Make the body of the turtle by aligning the four fully blown up balloons in two rows. Then place the six smaller balloons where the four claws, head and tail would go. Make sure the balloon with the smiley face is in position as the head.
- Decorate the party table with seashells and sand in plastic clear bowls. Place turtle figurines inside the bowls too.
- If it's hot outside you can set out wading pools for your guests to splash around in. Make sure you ask everyone to bring their bathing suits ahead of time.
- Tape different shades of blue streamers in the pattern of waves around the room.
- Play a movie that features a turtle quietly in the background of the party such as Finding Nemo, Over the Hedge or an episode of Franklin.
- Set a bubble machine in one corner of the room.
In addition to pizza, chicken fingers, hamburgers or hotdogs, you can add some Turtle themed food into the mix. Here are some suggestions.
Turtle Cake Idea
- Color Coordinated Food: Display lemon and lime colored candy in mason jars on the food table. Some suggestions are lemon drops, lollipops, lemon and lime licorice, Starbursts, M&Ms and Skittles. (For a girl party you can use pink and green candy.)
- Turtle Shell Lunches: Serve each guest their own boxed lunch inside a green favor box. You can place a sandwich, juice box and small packet of carrots in each box along with a cookie. Label each favor box with a personalized sticker for each guest.
- Shells and Cheese: Bake homemade macaroni and cheese using pasta shells. If you'd like, you can mix in some ground meat to add protein to the dish.
- Chocolate Turtles: Serve chocolate turtle candy to your guests. To keep the mess minimum, place one chocolate turtle inside a green cupcake wrapper. It will look like the chocolate turtle is on a lily pad!
Create a pull apart cake by arranging cupcakes in the shape of a turtle. Use our pattern below as your guide. If you need tasty batter and frosting recipes, check out this page
for our recipes.
Party Favor Ideas
Turtle Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with wild party favors! To find a large variety of Ocean party favors, visit our Ocean party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Plush fish toys
- Fish shaped straws
- Turtle notepads
- Beanbag ocean animals
- Silly fish squirts
- Bubble necklaces
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Ocean Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Ocean Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Children will make a pretty garden turtle or paperweight during this craft.
Hand out this free coloring page at your turtle party.
Whoever is slow and steady will win this relay race!
Send your guests on a treasure hunt in the sandbox to find turtle eggs full of prizes.
Fill the air with bubbles in different shapes and sizes.
Fill a bottle with colorful layers of candy "sand" then eat it!