Summer Party Ideas
Celebrate the sunny summer days with these fun-filled ideas for your child's summer birthday party! Our summer party guide includes suggestions for summer party themes, easy summer crafts, decorations, fun food ideas, summer games and a lot more!
Shop our Summer Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Summer Party Favors
Summer Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need for the Party?
In addition to basic party supplies like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may also consider purchasing or borrowing the following items:
Summer Party Invitation Ideas
- Beach chairs
- Kiddie pools
- Lawn sprinkler
- Beach balls
- Sand pails and shovels
- Hula hoops
- Suntan lotion
- Disposable cameras
Creative invitations are fun for guests to receive and build excitement before the party date. If you have time to make your own summer party invitations, be sure to let your child help choose the design and fill in the details. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Write the party invitation on an inflated beach ball. Then deflate the beach ball and send it in an envelope. Your guests will have fun blowing up the beach ball to read the invitation.
- Include an artificial flower, a pair of kid's sunglasses, or a small squirt gun with your invite.
- Add a bit of sand to each envelope and a few small seashells.
If you don't have time to make your own invitations, consider our summer themed personalized invitations. These invites can be customized with your child's name and all the party details.
Decorating & Food Ideas
Summer Party Decoration Ideas
Summer Party Food Ideas
- Use items you already own such as lawn chairs, beach blankets, beach balls, sand pails, beach umbrellas, straw hats, flower leis, and beach music.
- Seashells and starfish make great table decorations, along with snorkel masks and sunglasses.
- Make a banner that says "Welcome to the [your last name] Summer Fun Party!" and hang it near the party entrance.
- Lay picnic blankets in the yard where guests can relax or eat.
- Decorate the room with garlands make out of hanging flip flops and twinkle lights.
Both picnic food or a barbecue menu would be perfect for a summer party. Sandwiches, hot dogs, or hamburgers are all good choices to feed your hungry guests. Here are some more summer food ideas:
- Serve chips or cookies in clean, new plastic sand pails.
- Fruit smoothies served in tiki cups will help the children cool down and stay hydrated in the hot sun. Try our Nanaberry Smoothie recipe for a cool, tasty treat on a hot summer day.
- For sweet treats, either popsicles or an ice cream sundae bar are a sure hit with kids. You can create an Ice Cream Cart by setting up a table with cones and ice cream at one end and a variety of toppings in serving bowls at the other end. Guests can "order" their scoops of ice cream from an adult, and then add their own toppings. Don't forget the whipped cream and cherries!
- Edible "sand pails" made using ice cream cones with a flat bottom are another cute treat for a summer party. Just bake brownie batter inside the cones and let them cool. Spread frosting over the top of each brownie cone and sprinkle on crushed vanilla wafer cookies to look like sand.
Party Favor Ideas
Summer Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests for having fun in the sun with tropical party favors. Here are our suggestions.
- Beach balls, sand pails, squirt fish, sunglasses, and squirt guns.
- Summer party favors, favor bags, and favor boxes
- For a fun presentation, tuck the favor bag inside a new baseball cap, attach it to a sport water bottle, or place it inside a colorful sand bucket before handing to your guests.
- Personalized summer favors including bag tags, zipper pulls and stickers.
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Additional Party Planning Ideas
Make sure to check out our pool party ideas
and beach party ideas
for more great suggestions on throwing a summer party.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts!!
- Summer Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Summer Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Cool off on a hot summer day with a delicious frozen treat the kids will love!
Players use a sand shovel to toss ping pong balls into a bucket from a few feet away.
Teammates take turns running to the finish line and back while batting a beach ball in the air.
Be the first team to pass a hula hoop down the line while holding hands.
Players pass cones filled with water down a line until their team's glass is full.
Two players use water guns or hoses to spray their beach balls toward each other's goal lines.
Your partygoers will love decorating a pair of flip flops to fit their unique styles.
Let children "color" a 3-D picture using glue and colored sand.
Fill a bottle with colorful layers of candy "sand" then eat it!
Girls will love making their own bracelets filled with floating glitter and beads.
Fill the air with bubbles in different shapes and sizes.
Have your partygoers excavate a sandbox in search of seashells and prizes.
Your guests will love running, jumping, and getting wet in this activity!
Just how low can you go? Find out with a game of Limbo!
This activity uses up excess energy, and is a lot of fun, too!
Divide the children into teams, and have them play a competitive game of horseshoes.
Players will team up to see who can "go the distance" in this fun water balloon game.
Your guests will love coloring our printable Summer coloring page.