Sports Party Ideas
Is your child a sports star? Is he or she playing basketball in the winter, soccer in the summer, and every other sport in between? Then throw him or her a fan-tastic birthday party with our Sports Party Ideas. We have provided suggestions for everything from invitations to party games that will make winners out of all of your guests!
Shop our Sports Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Sports Party Favors
Sports Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Sports party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Sports themed party:
Sports Party Invitations
- A Sports Movie, such as Little Giants (Rated PG), The Rookie (Rated G), Bend it Like Beckham (Rated PG-13), or Air Bud (Rated PG)
- Sports uniforms and sweatbands
- Sports equipment (basketball, baseball, baseball bat, soccer ball, etc.)
- Water bottles
- Coach whistles
- Posters of famous althetes
- A Pinata
Invitations are an important part of your planning because they give the first impression of your party to your guests. If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few ideas to consider:
- Buy an inflatable soccer ball, basketball, or football and write the party details on it while it's fully inflated. Deflate the ball and send it in an envelope. Your guest will have fun blowing it up to read the invitation.
- Take a photo of your child in his or her favorite sports uniform. Print the photo on the front of a top-fold card and write your party details inside.
- Cut the shape of a sports trophy (traditionally shaped like a goblet) out of yellow cardstock. Write your party details on the front.
- Cut the shapes of various sports balls out of cardstock and glue them side by side. You could include a football, soccer ball, basketball, and baseball. Color each ball as they should appear, and write a few party details on each in the line. Fold them accordion style before putting them in the envelopes.
- Include creative wording for your party details, such as:
Are you ready to dribble the ball?
Bend it like Beckham? Hit it over the wall?
Then come to Jason's sports-themed birthday,
He's turning 7 and ready to play!
If you would rather not make your own invitations, but would still like a personalized touch, consider our Personalized Sports Invitations, which include all the party details for you! We also offer blank invitations
that you can fill in yourself.
Decorating & Food Ideas
Sports Party Decoration Ideas
Continue your sports theme with decorations that will create a fun atmosphere and set the mood for the party.
Sports Party Food Ideas
- Use your child's school colors for your traditional decorations like streamers and balloons. Tie groups of three or four balloons together and anchor them around the party area with balloon weights.
- Set mounds of different sports balls and equipment around the party area. Fill a wire basket with sports equipment as well and use it as a centerpiece.
- Hang pairs of high tops or cleats by their laces throughout the party area.
- Turn a table into a sports field or court using markers or colored tape on top of a colored tablecloth. For example, you could place white "yard markers" on a green table cover to turn it into a football field, or create a basketball court by marking the free throw area over a pale yellow tablecloth.
- Hang a banner over the entranceway to the party that says, "Are You Ready to Rumble?" Check out our personalized banners and let us do the work for you.
- Hang posters of famous sports stars or stadiums on the walls of the party area.
- Tape trading cards and Sports Illustrated photos to the table cover.
- For a skateboard, motocross or BMX party set up ramps, cones and obstacles for your guests to drive around. Make sure you provide helmets and kneepads too!
Whether you are holding an at-home party, or hosting a party at a ball field, it can be fun to include some sporty snacks that fit your theme!
- Serve traditional ballpark fare, such as peanuts, hot dogs, soft pretzels, root beer, and lemonade.
- Serve popcorn in traditional popcorn bags. Set out various toppings your guests can add, such as caramel sauce, powdered cheese, melted butter, and cinnamon.
- Make "All-Star Sandwiches" by using a cookie cutter to cut sandwich bread into star shapes.
- Serve drinks in sports bottles and snacks in toy baseball or football helmets.
- For an extreme sports party, serve dirt cups to your guests!
- Bake or buy a round cake, then ice it to look like your child's favorite sports ball. We have a variety of different ideas for sports cakes in our article on Birthday Cake Ideas. To make it even easier, use our football cake pan.
Party Favor Ideas
Sports Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with sporty party favors! To find a large variety of Sports themed party favors, visit our Sports party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Small trophies
- Sports themed backpack clips
- Stickers and temporary tattoos
- Notepads and pencils
- Cotton and denim tote bags
- Fun-shaped lollipops and candy
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Sports Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Sports Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Divide your guests into two teams to compete through this bunch of wacky games.
Partygoers will get a kick out of this indoor version of football.
Children will have a blast playing this variation on the game of tag.
This quiz is a great way to cool children down at the end of the party.
Your guests will love decorating our printable Sports coloring page.
If you're throwing a sports party, take the kids outside to play ball.
Challenge your guests to a jump rope competition to get the party moving.
Here's how to fold a paper football and play the game.