SpongeBob Party Ideas
If your child is crazy for the character who lives in a pineapple under the sea, throw him or her a SpongeBob party! Read on for our ideas on creating a perfect SpongeBob birthday party, with tips for decorations, favors, games, invitations and more.
Shop our SpongeBob Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
SpongeBob Party Food
SpongeBob Party Favors
SpongeBob Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic SpongeBob SquarePants party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your SpongeBob party:
SpongeBob Birthday Invitations
- SpongeBob SquarePants cartoons
- Stuffed animals or figurines of SpongeBob and his friends
- Fishing nets
- Beach balls
- Plastic fish
- A pinata
- Cut the shape of SpongeBob SquarePants, a starfish or pineapple from card stock paper.
- Cut a yellow sponge in half and glue it on white cardstock. Add googly eyes and draw on a face to create SpongeBob.
- Wash and dry old soda bottles, write your party details on a slip of paper, roll it up, and slide it inside. Make sure the paper is rolled tightly and secured so it will easily slip out of the bottle when your guests receive it. If you don't want to make your own, purchase our invitations in a bottle.
- Wash and dry seashells thoroughly and write your party details on the back of the shells. Send them in heavily padded envelopes, or hand-deliver them to your guests.
- If you'd rather purchase invitations instead of making them, you can still have a personalized touch with our personalized Sea Sponge invitations, which will include your child's name and all of the party details. Or you can purchase blank SpongeBob party invitations and fill in the details yourself.
Decorating & Food Ideas
SpongeBob Party Decorations
Transport your guests to Bikini Bottom with these simple decoration ideas:
SpongeBob Party Food
- Cover the ceiling, walls and floor with blue transparent cellophane wrap to give the impression of being underwater. Or hang blue streamers around the party area and from the ceiling to resemble waves.
- Scatter seashells and sand dollars around the side of the room.
- Fill the party area with bunches of blue and green balloons. Add fish mylar balloons to a few of the bunches.
- Place a bubble machine in one corner of the room.
- Create floating jellyfish using balloons with streamers attached.
- Outside, hang a sign saying "Bikini Bottom this way," with an arrow pointing to the party area.
- Use cardboard or poster board to create underwater "street signs" to other SpongeBob sites, like Sand Mountain, Goo Lagoon, Jellyfish Fields, Kelp Forest and Mermalair.
- Hang a fish net on the wall and attach shells and fish toys, including sea horses, crabs, lobsters, etc. Or hang the toy fish from the ceiling using clear fishing line.
- Or create sea creatures like fish, starfish, shells, crabs, lobsters, etc., using cardboard paper or construction paper. Hang on your fish net or on the walls.
- Cut out flowers to look like the background on the show and hang on the walls.
- Cover the tables with blue tablecloths and decorate them with sand, faux pearls and seashells.
- Place groups of stuffed fish toys, including clown fish, angel fish, starfish, and sharks, in the corners of the party area.
- Use a large appliance box to create SpongeBob's pineapple house or the Krusty Krab.
- Use other nautical-themed decorations like life floats, ropes and barrels.
- Put inflatable palm trees in the backyard. Surround with sand, sand pails, sea shells and other beach toys.
- Find a picture of a pirate in a magazine, or find one online and print it out. Hang it on the wall to represent the pirate in the opening credits of the show.
- Fill fish tanks with water and SpongeBob or ocean toys.
- Play SpongeBob music or episodes of the show in the background.
To keep with the underwater theme, consider serving seafood at your SpongeBob SquarePants party. Here are a few ideas:
- Fish sticks
- Popcorn shrimp
- Krusty Krab Cakes (crab cakes or hamburgers)
- Serve Goldfish crackers, Swedish Fish, and gummy sharks and fish
- Use cookie cutters to cut fish shapes out of peanut butter sandwiches, cheese slices, and deli meat slices.
- Cook seashell-shaped pasta and spinach linguini and serve chilled with butter. Call it "Seaweed & Shells Pasta."
- Cut red licorice strings into 2" sections and attach eight sections to a red gumball with a little red frosting. Draw on two eyes with black decorator icing to create octopus treats.
- Make "Sea Water" by coloring pitchers of apple juice with blue food coloring, and serve with fish straws.
- Bake a sheet cake and top with yellow icing. Then pipe on SpongeBob's features to create a SpongeBob SquarePants cake.
Party Favor Ideas
SpongeBob Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests for visiting your pineapple under the sea with awesome party favors! To find a large variety of SpongeBob party favors, visit our SpongeBob Squarepants party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Spongebob bubbles
- Spongebob stickers
- Spongebob water games
- Silly fish squrits
- Pineapple sipper cups
- Stretchy sea creatures
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- SpongeBob Squarepants Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- SpongBob Squarepants Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
The cake is missing and the guests must follow the clues to find it.
This is one time when it's okay for your partygoers to act crabby.
Who's the biggest SpongeBob fan? Find out with this trivia game.
Get all of your partygoers involved in this fun sea creature guessing game.
Fill a bottle with colorful layers of candy "sand" then eat it!
Fill the air with bubbles in different shapes and sizes.
Any "fish" caught by the "octopus" must help catch other "fish".
Pass around the jellyfish without getting stung to win.
Use sponges and paint to create fun artwork.
Hand out this free coloring page at your party.