Journey to the land of Far, Far Away and party with Shrek, Fiona, Donkey and Puss in Boots! Our Shrek birthday party idea guide will help you grant birthday wishes for your child’s Shrek party! Read on to discover magical ideas for invitations, food, decorations, party favors, games and activities!
Browse all our Movie Birthday Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Shrek party:
- A bouncy castle
- Shrek movies, music and toys
- A waffle maker
- A karaoke machine
- Fairytale character costumes and Shrek ears
Embrace the fairytale world of Shrek by creating your own invitations. Here are some ideas to get you thinking like a true resident of Far, Far Away.
- Deliver your invitations on old parchment. Burn the edges of manila construction paper or dye them with tea stains to achieve the right look. Make sure you don’t burn the edges too much!
- Use hand-written calligraphy or a calligraphy font like Apple Chancery or Lucida Calligraphy with fun wording like:
Hear ye! Hear ye! Attention all ogres!Shrek and Aidan want you to come over!
Head to the swamp, there’s no time to lose,
Donkey is ready to eat all the food!
Pressed for time but still want a personalized touch? Try our personalized Bug party invitations, which will include your child’s name and all of the party details.
Decorate the party to look like a swamp or a castle! Here are some Shrek party decoration ideas to inspire you.
For the swamp:
- Have the party outside at a park or in your backyard. Set up the area like a picnic with wooden benches, a campfire and a sign that says “Beware of Ogre!”
- Decorate with green, brown and orange balloons and streamers.
- If your party is inside, create a swamp by covering the floor with brown and green Kraft paper. Hide rubber snakes and bugs around the room. Place gummy bugs and worms on the party table.
For the castle:
- Decorate the party table to look like a banquet with goblets, candlesticks, silver serving trays and a red velvet table runner. Use bright yellow- or gold-colored paper products.
- Create a special throne for the birthday child decorated with red velvet fabric and balloons.
- Make name cards for the guests and label them with creative fairytale names like “Brian in Boots, Princess Sarah” or “RumpleSteveskin.”
In addition to pizza, chicken fingers, hamburgers or hotdogs, you can add some Shrek themed food into the mix. Here are some suggestions.
- Have a waffle sundae bar set up and label it “Donkey’s Waffle House.” Serve fresh waffles and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream and a cherry!
- Roast hot dogs and marshmallows over a campfire or a barbeque.
- Serve food medieval-style with no utensils but lots of napkins!
- Follow our recipe to make Dirt Cups.
- Serve “Shrek Soda” (Mountain Dew garnished with a gummy worm draped over the side of the cup)
- Serve “Ants on a Log” (celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins)
- Serve Snow White’s red apples.
- Put out “Magic Beans” (jelly beans)
For a Shrek cake, ask your local grocery store if they have a Shrek-themed cake or decorate your own. Draw a Shrek face on an oval-shaped, green-frosted cake. Then, cover two plain breadsticks in the green frosting and insert one on either side of Shrek’s face to make his ogre ears!
Party Favor Ideas
Send guests home with a variety of Shrek themed party favors. Wrap up silly toys for the boys in small burlap sacks and princess toys for the girls wrapped in small pink sacks tied with a ribbon. Here are a few suggestions for favors that will send your guests home happily ever after!
- Silly String, bounce putty, bouncy balls and disc launchers
- Gag gum, whoopee cushions and plastic bugs
- Tiara’s, pixie dust (glitter in small bottles), bubbles and make-up
- Wrapped gingerbread men, red apples and chocolate pudding cups
- Small fairytale books, stickers and coloring books
To keep things easy, check out our large selection of party favors!
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Bug Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
The Shrek name and all related characters and elements are the property of Dreamworks Studios. This guide is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dreamworks Studios.
Games and Activities
Hand out this free coloring page at your Shrek party!
In this relay race, children will team up to feed a cat the most popcorn!
In this guessing game, children will decide if a silly fact is about donkeys, cats, or if it is made up.
Kids will play a game of telephone using their favorite moments from Shrek.
In this relay race, three teams of blind mice will race to catch Gingy!
In this storytelling game, kids work together to write and illustrate a fairytale for the birthday child!
Use this yummy recipe to make pudding treats with gummy worms!
Use this costume guide to help party guests arrive dressed as their favorite Shrek character!
Make jewelry from licorice strings, round candies, and cereal.
Send your little sprouts out to round up plastic bugs hidden in the grass.
Let the children make their scariest monster faces while you take photos.