Race Car Party Ideas
Rev up your child's birthday party with our Race Car Party Ideas! We've provided general party planning tips, as well as great race car decorating ideas, and food, game, and activity suggestions, that are sure to please all the speed racers at your party!
Shop our Race Car Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Race Car Invitations
Race Car Decorations
Race Car Party Food
Race Car Party Favors
Race Car Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Race Car party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Race Car party:
- Remote control cars
- A car-related movie such as Transformers: The Animated Series, Disney's Cars, or Herbie: The Love Bug
- Go karts
- A racing video game such as Mario Kart, Need for Speed, Burn Out or Gran Turismo
- Matchbox cars and race tracks
- A pinata
Creative invitations build excitement and can increase attendance at your child's party. If you have time to make your own, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Fold a piece of red construction paper in half, and cut out a car shape. Write "Ladies and Gentlemen, Start Your Engines! Jayden is turning 5!" Cut black construction-paper circles for the wheels, and attach them to the card with brass fasteners so they spin. Then, add all of the party details inside. Place each invitation in a card envelope or a small manila envelope, and seal the envelopes with car stickers.
- If party activities may get dirty, include in the invitation that guests should come dressed in their play clothes.
- Be creative with the party details by writing a theme-appropriate message inside each invitation, like Rev your engines at 2 PM on April 5.
123 Wheel Avenue
Call the Pit Captain at 555-123-4567 if You're Coming!
- For a special touch, let us print personalized invitations for you! We'll include your child's name and all the party details, with a background design to match your theme. Or take a look at the blank invitations we offer.
Decorating & Food Ideas
Racecar Party Decorating Ideas
Here are a few easy and inexpensive ways to decorate the party area:
Racecar Party Food Ideas
- Attach two checkered racing flags to your mailbox or criss-crossed on your front door.
- Make a large sign out of white paper saying "Welcome Race Fans" to hang at the entrance to the party.
- Make a centerpiece out of Matchbox cars and a toy racetrack.
- Use chalk to draw a "Track" on the driveway and/or sidewalk leading up to your door.
- Make a few signs that say things like "Race Day!", "Curvy Road Ahead", and "Start Your Engines!" and hang them throughout the party area.
- As guests arrive, hand each child their "Driver's License" using our laminated Racecar Bag Tags. Guests can take them home as their party favor!
- Balloons are always a hit with children! Tie helium balloons in groups of five to toy cars or balloon weights, and place them around the party space. For impact, use a mixture of car-shaped balloons and colorful latex balloons. Remember to tie some to the chair where the birthday child will sit, too!
- Hang a combination of red, black or white streamers from the four corners of the room to the middle of the ceiling and cover the middle with three matching balloons.
- Create a large car from an empty appliance box. Use an X-Acto knife to cut out a few windows, and paint the box red to resemble a race car. Cut out four circles from a sheet of cardboard, spray paint them black, and glue them onto the sides of the box to create wheels. If desired, you can turn this into a party activity by handing out washable markers and letting your guests decorate the box during the party. This will also be a great place to take party pictures!
- Use white and yellow lawn paint to draw a racetrack on the grass in your yard, and hold games here. Include a Start and Finish line, complete with checkered flags.
- Purchase a racing magazine and cut out pictures of various drivers, then tape them to the walls around the party area.
When it comes to food, partygoers are usually perfectly content to eat pizza or hotdogs, which is certainly much easier on the hosts! However, if you have the time and would like to serve racecar-themed treats, consider these ideas:
Car Cake Idea
- Set up a concession stand for children to "order" lunch as if they were at the track. Have hotdogs, soft pretzels, nachos, popcorn, and other similar snacks available.
- Make "Stop Lights" using a round object (like a cookie/biscuit cutter or the top of a glass) to cut out circles of green, yellow and red Jell-O.
- Cut a watermelon to look like a car and serve it filled with fruit. Lay the melon on one long side and cut out a lid from the top. Use a small round scoop to create balls of watermelon, keeping the shell intact. Using a small wooden skewer, attach four grapefruit halves with the cut side facing out to look like wheels. Add a cherry in the middle of each wheel with a toothpick and fill the car with the melon balls!
- Serve racecar-shaped sugar cookies.
- Make quick and easy "wheels" from any round cookie, by adding an M&M or junior mint in the center as the hubcap.
Make a cake that looks like a race track filled with your child's toy cars!
- Use our chocolate cake recipe or yellow cake recipe to make the batter for a 9" x 13" pan.
- Make the frosting using our Buttercream frosting recipe.
- Carve the cake into a curved oval shape and then frost.
- Use black icing to draw a race track around the perimeter of the cake.
- Draw the finish line using dabs of black and white icing.
- Add die-cast clean toy cars to the track to make it look like they are racing.
- In the middle of the track use green sprinkles to resemble grass and include a Happy Birthday message.
Party Favor Ideas
Race Car Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with off the track party favors! To find a large variety of race car party favors, visit our Race Car party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Balloon racers
- Race car decks of cards
- Checkered flags
- Racing helmets
- Pull-back cars
- Race car stickers
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Race Car Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Race Car Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Your guests will love decorating our printable Race Car coloring page.
Children will love this racecar-oriented game of tag.
Players compete against each other to be the first to get to the leader.
The cake is missing and the guests must follow the clues to find it.
Get your guests' creative juices flowing by letting them decorate their very own license plate.
Teams race against each other to be the first to finish all of their laps and pit stops.
Don't get caught holding both the ball and the car or you'll be "Over and out!"
See if the "Thieves" can nab a car without getting stopped by the "Police".