Pony Party Ideas
Plan a spectacular birthday party your little horse fanatic will love with our Pony Party Ideas! Read on for general party planning tips as well as great pony-themed supplies, decorating, food, game, and activity suggestions.
Shop all our Pony Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Pony Party Favors
Pony Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Pony party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins, and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Pony party:
Pony Party Invitation Ideas
- A live pony the children can ride
- Bales of hay
- Stuffed ponies or toy ponies
- Cowboy music
- Jockey costume accessories or cowboy hats
- A horse pinata
Creative invitations build excitement and can increase attendance at your child's Pony Party. If you have time to make your own, be sure to involve your child in choosing the design and filling in the details. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Hand-deliver your invitations along with a cowboy hat or small pony figure.
- Take a picture of your child riding a horse and use computer software to write "Ride to our "Neigh"borhood" on the front. Write the party details on the back.
- If you're having a western themed party, consider making a "wanted poster" featuring a picture of the invitee and the party details.
- Ask your guests to mosey over to the stables with a cute poem such as:
We're prancing and trotting and ready to cheer,
Natalie's birthday party is almost here.
So grab your boots, and your cowboy hats too,
We're having a pony party and inviting you!
- Pressed for time but still want a personalized touch? Try our personalized pony invitations, which will include your child's name and all of the party details.
Decorating & Food Ideas
Pony Party Decoration Ideas
Pony Party Food Ideas
- If you are hosting an outdoor party, go to a local farm and get a few bales of hay to use as decorations or seats.
- If the party is indoors, make stirrups from construction paper, and attach them to the backs of the party table chairs.
- Cut horseshoe and cowboy hat shapes out of construction paper, and hang them on the walls throughout the party area.
- Line the walls with "fences" made with cardboard "planks," scissors or an X-Acto knife, a marker, and packing tape.
- Decorate with cornstalks, if they're available.
- Rent a saddle and a riding helmet from a tack shop. Set the saddle on a bale of hay, and have your partygoers take turns wearing the helmet and sitting on the saddle while you take their pictures. Send copies of the pictures out with your thank you notes as fun party keepsakes.
When it comes to food, partygoers are usually perfectly content to eat pizza or hotdogs, which is certainly much easier on the hosts! However, if you have the time and would like to serve some pony-themed snacks, consider these ideas:
- Serve your guests little piles of "straw" (i.e. French fries). Thinly-cut fries will have the best effect.
- Give each child an apple. Instruct them to try to eat their apples like horses would-that is, without hands!
- Set up a Chuck Wagon, and serve Sloppy Joes, chili, or grilled hamburgers and hotdogs. Set out condiments and/or sandwich toppings along one side of the counter, and let your guests customize their meals.
- Bake Horseshoe Biscuits by shaping biscuit dough into horseshoe shapes. For ease, use pre-made dough from the refrigerator section of your local grocery store.
- Make S'mores by melting marshmallows and chocolate bars in between graham crackers. You can do this by placing them in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Serve pony party cupcakes by using our chocolate cake batter recipe. Then top with green icing to look like grass. Place a small horse figurine on top of each cupcake and serve.
Party Favor Ideas
Pony Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with a stable full of party favors! To find a large variety of horse party favors, visit our Pony party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Horse figurines
- Pony photo albums
- Plush mini ponies
- Bubble necklaces
- Horse sticker books and notepads
- Cowboy and cowgirl hats
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Pony Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Pony Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Partygoers will get a kick out of this racetrack-style relay race.
Give your partygoers a chance to dig through the hay in search of hidden treasure.
Guests can paint their very own lucky horseshoes to take home after the party.
Divide the children into teams, and have them play a competitive game of horseshoes.
Teams race to be first to pin all of their streamers on their horse, forming its tail.
Round up the children and walk them through a few rodeo-style rope tricks.
Have your guests create a one-of-a-kind story with this funny, Mad Lib-style activity.
Your guests will love decorating our printable Pony coloring page.