Pirate Party Ideas
If your little pirates are an energetic crew, then ensure your Pirate Party is ship-shape with these Pirate Birthday ideas. You'll find sea-worthy pirate party games and birthday activities that will ensure your swashbucklers have hours of fun and keep you from wanting to walk the plank! From pirate decorations to favors, we've got a list of pirate party ideas to keep your birthday bash sailing smoothly.
Shop our Pirate Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Pirate Party Favors
Pirate Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Pirate party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Pirate party:
Pirate Party Invitations
If you have the time to make your own invitations, here are a few ideas to consider:
Come sail a ship on the Seven Seas,
- Send a message in a bottle! Thoroughly wash and dry old soda bottles. Write your party details on a slip of paper, roll it up, and slide it inside. Make sure the paper is rolled tightly and secured so it will easily slip out of the bottle once your guests receive it. Check out our Invitations in a Bottle for inspiration!
- Make a treasure map invitation. Cut a jagged edge around a piece of brown construction paper to give the paper the illusion of being burned. Draw a crude map of your neighborhood on one side, with a dotted line leading from one edge of the paper to a big X, marking where your home would be. Write your party details on the opposite side of your map.
- Punch a hole in the corner of a card-style invitation and attach it to a bag of Pirate gold nugget gum. Hand-deliver these to your guests.
- Cut the shape of a skull and crossbones out of black construction paper. Write your party details in gold pen.
- Include creative wording for your party details, such as:
With Captain James and his crew!
We'll steal some gold and bury our treasure,
Then relax with some grub and brew!
- If you would rather not make your own invitations, but would still like a personalized touch, consider our Personalized Pirate Invitations, which include all the party details for you! We also offer blank pirate invitations that you can fill in yourself.
Decorating & Food Ideas
Pirate Party Decorations
To get your guests in the mood for buried treasure and sea battles, consider these options for decorations:
Pirate Party Food Ideas
- As guests arrive, give them each a black bandana and eye patch to wear during the party. You can even dot on rough beards with face paint and clip gold hoop earrings to their ears.
- Make a treasure chest to place in one corner of the party area. Cover a large shoebox with brown construction paper and strips of gold foil. Fill it with shells, plastic necklaces, faux jewels, and gold coins.
- Hang fishing nets from the walls and ceiling.
- Cover the tables in the party area with blue tablecloths. Sprinkle sand, seashells, and faux pearls on top.
- Make a skull and crossbones out of white construction paper and black markers, and hang it on one wall of the party area.
- Balloons are a must at every party! Fill the party area with bunches of blue and black balloons! Add pirate-themed Mylar balloons to a few of the bunches.
- Perch a stuffed parrot on a table, chair, or shelf in the party area.
Get creative with your party food by serving theme-specific treats. For a Pirate Party, consider the following ideas:
- A fun main dish to serve to your sea-faring travelers is chicken or turkey legs - without utensils! Let them eat like real pirates!
- Place a few cranberries and gold nugget candies in the bottom of a clear plastic cup. Make blue Jell-o to pour into the cup. The end result will look like a bit of ocean and sunken treasures.
- Tint a bag of Chex cereal green with a little food coloring. Mix with goldfish crackers and call it "Swimming with the Fishes Snack."
- Make "Sea Water" by coloring pitchers of apple juice with blue food coloring, and serve with shaped straws.
- Cook seashell-shaped pasta and spinach linguini and serve chilled with a little butter. Call it "Seaweed & Shells Pasta."
- Serve root beer in frosted mugs or goblets.
- Make a simple pirate cake by baking a 9" x 13" cake and frosting it in grey frosting. With decorator icing, draw a treasure map, complete with a compass, a dotted line trail, and an X that marks the spot. Or, use our pirate ship cake pan instead!
Party Favor Ideas
Pirate Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with a treasure box full of party favors! To find a large variety of pirate party favors, visit our Pirate party page
and click the "Party Favors" tab or the "More Fun Stuff" tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Eye patches and pirate earrings
- Gold coins
- Pirate pop guns
- Pirate gummy candy
- Pirate rings
- Inflatable swords
- Pirate sticker books and temporary tattoos
- Pirate hats
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Pirate Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Pirate Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Send your partygoers on a quest to find the hidden cake with this exciting treasure hunt.
Let your little pirates test their aim and see which team can keep its ship afloat the longest.
Have your guests work together to see who can walk the plank to the finish line first.
Create a unique and imaginative story with your guests in this fun message game.
Double the fun for your guests with this fish-themed craft and game combo.
Have your guests create pirate hats to wear during the party and take home as favors.
Keep your guests guessing in this game of charades with a swashbuckling twist.
Get your guests singing and laughing as they dance around the "blind man."
Have your guests work together in this splashy outdoor race.
Engage your guests in an exciting - yet safe - battle with our balloon swordfight game.
Your guests will love decorating our printable Pirate coloring page.