Make your child’s heart feel super happy with a Ni Hao, Kai-Lan party, perfect for a Chinese New Year party or birthday celebration. Read on for suggestions on invitations, decorations, food, games and more!
Shop our Ni Hao, Kai-Lan Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic Ni Hao, Kai-Lan party supplies, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Ni Hao, Kai-Lan party:
- Episodes of Ni Hao, Kai-Lan
- Chinese lanterns
- Chinese dragon costumes or masks
- CD of Chinese music
- A pinata
- Cut out the shape of a Chinese lantern using red construction paper, paste to white card stock, and write the party details on the back.
- Kai-Lan loves flowers, so cut flower shapes out of colorful construction paper and paste to card stock.
- Learn how to write your child’s name in Chinese characters and draw it on the front of your invitations. Or, find a simpler Chinese character to represent life, beauty, joy or friend, and draw that on the front of your invitations.
- Cut out invitations in the shapes of Kai-Lan’s animal friends-Rintoo (tiger), Tolee (koala), Hoho (monkey) and Lulu (rhino).
- Make your own fortune cookies and print the party details on the fortune. Decorate Chinese take-out containers with colorful, Asian-themed stickers, put the fortune cookies in the boxes, and deliver to guests.
- If you’d rather purchase invitations instead of making them, you can still have a personalized touch with our personalized Super Happy invitations, which will include your child’s name and all of the party details.
- String up plenty of streamers and decorate the party area with colorful holiday lights for an extra festive touch.
- Hang Chinese lanterns around the room.
- Use a Chinese takeout container as the table centerpiece and tie helium-filled balloons to it. Or use chopsticks as balloon weights.
- Decorate the area with stuffed animals like tigers, koalas and monkeys to represent Kai-Lan’s animal friends.
- Cut a larger circle out of yellow poster board and draw on a smiley face to create Mr. Sun.
- Purchase an ant farm, or draw one on poster board, and label it “Ant City.”
- Welcome guests to the party with a banner saying, “Ni Hao,” which means “hello” in Chinese.
- Hang Chinese travel posters or pictures of China around the room.
- Chinese parasols, oriental fans, bamboo, and other Asian-inspired items also can help set the mood.
- Draw simple Chinese characters and place around the room.
- Finally, decorate the area with lots of flowers, either real or fake.
Chinese food is the most obvious choice for a Kai-Lan party. You can make it easy on yourself by ordering takeout, or you can make your own Chinese food. To have the best of both worlds and save money, consider serving a combination of home-made and takeout items. Consider these delicious favorites:
- Egg Rolls
- Sweet and sour chicken
- Fried or steamed rice
- Chow mein
- Mixed vegetables with Teriyaki sauce
- Sweetened iced tea and iced green tea
If the children are old enough to grip chopsticks properly, try teaching them how to eat with chopsticks. Just make sure to keep forks on hand.
And for dessert, try one of these ideas:
- Fortune cookie cupcakes. Bake cupcakes (any flavor) and decorate with red icing. Top each cupcake with a fortune cookie.
- Mandarin orange slices over ice cream
- Animal Face Cakes: Create a cake that looks like Kai-Lan or one of her animal friends. You can turn around layer cake into the face of any animal by using just a few colors of icing. Use the top of a cupcake for the nose, and frost it with the appropriate color. Use M&Ms, Skittles, red licorice string, or other candy of your choice to create eyes, nostrils, a mouth, and other facial features. Split a cupcake in half, and ice each piece to form ears.
- Don’t forget to serve fortune cookies. You can either purchase or make your own if you’re adventurous.
Party Favor Ideas
Thank your guests with super happy party favors! To find a large variety of Kai Lan party favors, visit our Ni Hao, Kai Lan party page and click the “Party Favors” tab or the “More Fun Stuff” tab. Some of the favors we have include:
- Ni Hao, Kai-Lan stickers
- Ni Hao, Kai-Lan notepads
- Chinese character bracelets
- Ni Hao, Kai-Lan bubble tumblers
- Hair accessories
- Reusable tote bags
- Fun-shaped candy and lollipops
Also check out our complete favor sets and personalized products such as zipper pulls, placemats, and stickers.
Party Planning Toolbox
Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Ni Hao, Kai-Lan Party Supplies: Includes paperware, invitations, personalized items, favors, and decorations for your party theme.
- Ni Hao, Kai-Lan Personalized Items: Check out our exclusive personalized items including invitations, bookmarks, stickers, and more!
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Birthday Party Decorating Ideas: This guide will tell you how to decorate for your party theme, what to do with balloons and streamers, how to decorate with food, how to set the table, and how to make your own party decorations.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child’s next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Create big, festive flowers out of colorful tissue paper and pipe cleaner.
Your guests will love making butterflies with this fun origami activity.
This is a great animal-themed circle game for younger children.
Children can’t speak while they imitate a character for the rest of the group.
Kids try to break through the city gates in this Chinese version of Red Rover.
Try to pick up the most cotton balls using chop sticks.
The leader tries to catch the tail without breaking up the line.
Print out this free coloring page to give to guests at your party.