Movie Party Ideas
If you have a movie buff in your family, he or she would love a party inspired by the movies! Our Movie Party Ideas will give you suggestions for everything from invitations to activities that will make all your guests feel like celebrities.
Shop our Hollywood Party Supplies
Browse this guide:
Movie Party Favors
Movie Games & Activities
Planning & Invitations
The first tasks on your planning list will be selecting a date, time and location for your party. Your chosen date and time will be dependent on your schedule and the schedule of the birthday child and his or her guests. Choosing a location can be a little more difficult. Hosting the party at your own home is a great option because it provides you a little more freedom to be creative and is a comfortable space for your child. However, many parents want to save themselves from the preparation and clean-up that comes with hosting a party at home. Alternate locations for this theme might include a movie theater, hotel, or community center. For additional ideas, see our article on When and Where to Have the Party
What Do I Need For the Party?
Basic party supplies include paper tableware, such as plates, napkins, cups, and cutlery; a tablecloth, streamers, and balloons. If you want to purchase themed tableware, instead of solids, consider our selection of Movie Inspired Party Supplies
, or our generic Showtime Pattern
You may also want to rent or purchase other items to fit your theme, such as:
- Old Film Reels
- Costume Items
- Red Carpet
- Disposable Cameras
- A Movie Inspired Pinata
To help you with your shopping, take a look at our Suggested Party Supply List
. You may not need everything on the list, but you can use it as a guide.
Movie Party Invitations
Set the scene by sending your guests fun and unique invitations! Here are some ideas to consider:
- Use black and white construction paper and white stick-on letters to design your invitation like a director's clapboard.
- Design your invitations to look like movie tickets, with a perforated line on one end. Tear that end off of each guest's ticket when they arrive at the party.
- Cut a star out of gold cardstock and add a sticker or photo of a director's chair in the middle, so it resembles a star on the Walk of Fame. Write the invitee's name in large block font on the front and all the party details on the back.
- Line the edges of a piece of white cardstock with sections of real movie film (you can usually get odd pieces from movie theaters). Write your party details in the middle.
- Include creative wording for your party details, such as:
Event: Amanda's 10th birthday
Setting: 123 Celebrity Lane
Curtain Opens: 2 PM
RSVP to the Director: 555-123-4567
Decorating & Food Ideas
Movie Party Decorations
Lights, camera, action! Keep the party going by using decorations that fit your movie theme. Here are some ideas:
Movie Party Food Ideas
- Run a "red carpet" up to your front door using a roll of red gift wrap paper or red felt from the fabric store.
- Hang a banner above the party entrance that reads "V.I.P. Entrance". Check out our selection of customizable banners and let us do the work for you.
- Balloons are a must at every party! Group together three helium balloons and anchor them with balloon weights around the party area. Add star-shaped Mylar balloons to some of the groups for added effect.
- Purchase posters showcasing your child's favorite movies and tack them to the walls of the party area. Life size stand-ups of your child's favorite celebrities can also be purchased online or at some movie stores.
- Cut large star shapes out of gold-colored paper and write a guest's name on each star. Place these in a line along one wall of the party area. Hang a sign above the stars that reads "Wall of Fame".
- Set out a line of mini award statues down the middle of the main food table. These can be given away as party favors at the end of the party!
- Print out movie stills from your child's favorite movies and attach them in a line to a strand of ribbon. Use this as garland and hang it from the ceiling.
- Hang a Movie Inspired Pinata in the party area that can be used as a decoration before the activity begins. Remember, you can transform any pinata into a pull-string with these easy instructions.
The catering van has arrived! Serve food inspired by the movies and your guests are sure to feel like real stars. Here are some ideas:
- Popcorn with Pizazz - Serve freshly popped popcorn in traditional popcorn bags and let your guests add toppings of cinnamon, powdered cheese, salt & pepper, or chocolate sprinkles.
- Shaped Sandwiches - Use cookie cutters in the shape of a clapboard, star, and movie projector to cut out sandwiches. Serve them on a silver platter.
- Movie Munchies - Class up traditional movie candy - like milk duds, junior mints, licorice, and gummy candies - by serving them in small, clear, glass vases.
- Relaxing Refreshments - Serve sparkling cider, juice, lemonade, and ice water in plastic champagne glasses.
- Petit Fours - These dainty sweets are perfect for the glamorous types at your party.
- Star Snacks - Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut stars out of sliced cheese and deli meat. Serve with crackers on a nice platter.
- Fruit Tray - A party favorite! Have chocolate sauce, yogurt, and caramel sauce available for dipping.
- You're a Star! Cupcakes - Bake traditional cupcakes and frost them in white frosting. Cut star shapes out of milk chocolate bars using a small cookie cutter or sharp knife (you may have to warm the chocolate bars just a touch to get them soft enough to cut). Place the stars on top of the cupcakes. In white decorator icing, write a guest's name on each star.
Party Favor Ideas
Movie Party Favors
As the stage lights dim and the last paparazzi picture has been taken, send your little movie stars home with party favors that fit your theme. You could give one large favor, such as a gift certificate to a local movie theater, or combine smaller favors such as an award statue, movie candy, stickers
, and disposable cameras in a nice favor bag.
To save time, you may want to consider our Movie Inspired Favor Sets, which include matching favor bags. Or, consider our popular Personalized Movie Favors. Choose from bag tags, zipper pulls, magnets, and more, all personalized with your guests' names or a personal message from you!
More Birthday Theme Ideas
Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides
to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Quiz the group on the famous girls they should all know.
Quiz your little stars on how well they know their favorite musical!
Quiz your little stars on how well they know their favorite show!
See who can guess the correct mutant based on a description of their powers.
Create a custom scavenger hunt that all of your guests will enjoy.
No matter the age group, your guests will love this fun guessing game.
Who will be the first person to finish their puzzle and guess their celebrity?
See how well your guests can act out words that have to do with the movies.
It's showtime! Test your guests' acting ability with this fun activity.
Your little movie buffs will love coloring this free printable coloring sheet.
How well do your guests know movie theme songs? Find out with this game.
This party pleaser is easy to make and popping with flavor!