Mardi Gras Party Ideas
Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, is a celebration of feasting, parades and fun! Celebrate all the wonderful traditions of New Orleans and Carnival with a Mardi Gras for kids! Read on to discover our Mardi Gras party ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors and games. Consider hosting a Princess and the Frog themed Mardi Gras party to match a green, purple and gold color theme!
Shop our Princess and the Frog Party Supplies.
Browse this guide:
Mardi Gras Invitations & Planning
Mardi Gras Party Decorations
Mardi Gras Party Food
Mardi Gras Favors
Mardi Gras Planning Toolbox
Mardi Gras Activities & Games
Planning & Invitations
What Do I Need For the Party?
In addition to basic party supplies
, like plates, cups, napkins and decorations, you may want to consider purchasing, borrowing or renting the following items for your Mardi Gras party:
Mardi Gras Party Invitation Ideas
- Party masks
- Beaded necklaces and beaded necklace craft kits
- A King's Cake
- A pinata
- Feather boas
- A moon bounce
- Jazz and Zydeco music
- Movies set in New Orleans such as Disney's The Princess and the Frog and All Dogs go to Heaven
Get your party guests excited for your child's Mardi Gras party with fantastic invitations! Here are some ideas to inspire you.
- Punch a hole in the corner of a card-style invitation, and tie it with curling ribbon to one of our personalized party supplies or a Mardi Gras mask. You will need to deliver them by hand or use padded mailing envelopes.
- Include Mardi Gras stickers with your party invitation and seal the envelope with one of our personalized party stickers printed with the party details or a fun message!
- Make a basic card-style invitation out of green, purple and yellow construction paper. Decorate your invitation with gold star stickers or gold glitter. Write the party details on the back in gold pen.
- Write the party info directly on a Mardi Gras mask in permanent marker. You can also attach a personalized sticker printed with the party information on the mask.
- Use a fun poem like the one below for your Mardi Gras invitation:
We're throwing a party for Mardi Gras!
Even though New Orleans is pretty far,
We'll sing and dance and have some fun
So come and celebrate with everyone!
Decorating & Food Ideas
Mardi Gras Party Decoration Ideas
Capture the festive spirit of Mardi Gras with kid-friendly Mardi Gras decorations! Along with Mylar balloons
and themed Mardi Gras decorations, you can mix in green, yellow and purple streamers. Here are some additional creative decorating ideas for your Mardi Gras kids party.
Mardi Gras Party Food Ideas
- Hang green, yellow and purple tissue paper balls and streamers around the party area. Hang strands of beads and Mardi Gras masks in with the other party supplies.
- Set up a station where party guests can dress up for a Mardi Gras parade. Supply new hair accessories, tiaras, boas, masks, costume jewelry and a large mirror.
- Use Mardi Gras masks or bags of beads and coins to hold balloons in place.
- Play Zydeco or jazz music softly in the background.
- Create a Mardi Gras float out of a large cardboard box. Decorate it with paint, boas, beads and other Mardi Gras themed decorations. Take your guests' photos in the float. Send the pictures out with your thank you cards for a fun keepsake to remember your Mardi Gras party by!
In addition to pizza, chicken fingers, hamburgers or hotdogs, you can add some Mardi Gras themed food into the mix. Here are some party food ideas to match your Mardi Gras party theme:
- King Cake: Serve a traditional King Cake at your Mardi Gras party. The guest who gets the slice of cake with the baby in it wins good luck for the rest of the year!
- Beignets: Fry up some traditional beignets with our easy beignet recipe or use powdered doughnuts as an easy substitute.
- Mardi Gras Floats: Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to grape, lime or cream soda to match your Mardi Gras theme colors.
- Make a Mardi Gras party food tray in purple, green and gold. Use foods like grapes, celery, broccoli, cheese cubes, and crackers to match your Mardi Gras theme.
- Keep it Cajun with cultural foods like crab dip, shrimp, sausage, crawfish, red beans & rice, etouffee, pralines, gumbo and jambalaya. You might want to lower the spice content in some of these dishes to suit younger palettes.
- Serve typical party foods with festive names such as "Frog Leg" chicken wings, "French Quarter" French fries and "Creole Catfish" fishsticks.
Party Favor Ideas
Mardi Gras Party Favor Ideas
Send your Mardi Gras party guests back home with fabulous party favors. Some of the favors we have include:
Party Planning Toolbox
Party Planning Toolbox Use the links below to quickly find related theme party supplies, planning tips, printable checklists, and advice from our party planning experts.
- Party Planning 101: Our useful party planning guide includes cake ideas, party etiquette tips, a printable guest list, and much more.
- Parties Under $100: Use this guide to celebrate in style without breaking the bank!
- Party Budget Estimator: Download this guide to help budget your expenses.
- More Birthday Theme Ideas: Browse our list of over 130 themed party guides to find tips for your child's next birthday! Each guide includes ideas for invitations, decorations, food, favors, games and more.
Games and Activities
Send guests home with their very own Mardi Gras masks they can decorate themselves!
Play a jazzy rendition of musical chairs with festive Zydeco or jazz music.
Dress up some shoeboxes to look like Mardi Gras floats then take your favors home in them!
Fry up a New Orleans favorite with our easy beignet recipe!
Serve up some fun with our easy King Cake recipe!
This festive take on Simon Says will keep your Mardis Gras guests on their toes!
Capture the flavor of Mardi Gras and New Orleans with this easy crab dip recipe.
Find the Mardi Gras themed items in this fun game of hide and seek!